+3 Jessica Campana · October 15, 2015
I want to learn about Android development, can i get some input or advise for beginners? Thank You

Post a Reply

Oldest  Newest  Rating
+2 Gary Whitney · October 15, 2015

I think you previously asked about hardware so I am going to assume you are clear on the HAXM/x86 issues and are going to get a PC that supports HAXM.

The only other requirement is a good knowledge of Java programming.
Learning Java will teach you about good programming practices, and Object Oriented Programming (OOP).
I learned through books and the java tutorials on this site.
* HeadFirst Java is entertaining but made my head swim the first time I looked at it.
* Dummies All in One for Java is excellent.
* I buy DRM free PDF versions so I can search them and mark them up.
Eclipse is the IDE most people will recommend for writing/debugging code.

If you are a CS student and already know Java then this site offers Android concepts in bite size chunks that are easy to follow.
However most beginners have trouble with the Android Studio IDE. It is very powerful but is designed for a developer who already has experience with IDEs. So be specific when you ask for help on this forum, and always search before you post.

I have about 3 books that I have read, on Android development, and each one reveals something the others didn't. (or maybe I am just getting more comfortable with the concepts).  A pro can just read the Android APIs and figure out what they need. I am not a pro.

Good Luck and try writing your own code, or at least modifying examples. You can learn a lot that way.
+2 Don Chocho · October 16, 2015

Do you have basic java and html knowledge? If you do, then I suggest going thrugh Bucky's Android Development for Beginners.

However, if don't have the basic knowledge, try to go through the java and html tutorials on here.

Let me know if you get stuck or confused.

Happy Coding!
+1 Dol Lod · October 20, 2015
Use Android Studio. Eclipse is not recommended and Android Studio is the officially supported IDE for Android.

Java / Android Development

Very popular language used to create desktop applications, website applets, and Android apps.

Bucky Roberts Administrator