Basics required for android app development

0 Anand Kumar · October 12, 2015
I've been given a project in college. I need to develop a simple android app which gets some text input from the user and puts them in stacks, queues etc. I'm new to android development and I don't know any java or xml. I heard from my friends that I should know java and xml for android development. Is it definitely needed to know those? Is it easy learn java and xml. I only know C programming. Are there any other pre-requisites for android development. I have to submit the project in one month's time. Thanks in advance.:)

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Gary Whitney · October 13, 2015
What kind of teacher assigns this without the student first learning Java?
Did he want you to develop a Web App for android?

There are Tutorials here for Java, Android, and XML but it would take a month just to watch them.
I have several Android development books and the all expect you to know Java.

XML is not that mysterious if you have ever used HTML. The concept is to use <tags/> to define the data.
You could probably go to w3schools and breeze through the material in a couple of hours.

You will need an IDE. Most people are switching to Googles Android Studio.
You would greatly benefit from and Intel I5 or I7 processor because it speeds up the emulator considerably.
I must post the following here at least a couple of times a week.

1. You need to have an Intel chip set that supports HAXM.

2. You have to turn it on in your BIOS

3. You need to download AND install it.

I found this link and followed instructions for installing using Studio >  Tools > Android> SDK Manager

https://software.intel.com/en-us/android/articles/installation-instructions-for-intel-hardware-accelerated-execution-manager-windows

P.S. there is nothing like experience so find a mentor. Ask senior students.
Good Luck:'(

Java / Android Development

107,173 followers
About

Very popular language used to create desktop applications, website applets, and Android apps.

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator