Dealing with millions line of columns in database (PHP)

+1 Hemant Maurya · October 12, 2015
I really don't know how does facebook or any websites that store terabytes of data every next moment, how do the give search results from that.
Like there would be millions of accounts and I put some name, how does it give result so fast?
can I get result like this from mysql, or any other, Please Somebody help/ suggest something.

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Ron Butcher · October 27, 2015
I have read forums and other non-reputable sources that say that FB has either abandoned MySQL or is going to abandon it.  I have never been able to find a current reputable source that states it though.  I can see FB moving to another system if they haven't already as they need to handle more queries and data than most enterprise organizations.  If you have a source I can read from I would be interested in learning more.

All that aside, the fact that FB was built using MySQL and used it successfully for many years is still a testament to how powerful this open source DBMS is.  And yes, as both of us said DB normalization is the proper way to ensure that the DBMS is able to run effective and accurate queries.
0 mike richardson · October 23, 2015
Where do you see that Facebook does not use MySQL Casper? From what i read it is still used in wall post etc.
0 Casper Hollemans · October 22, 2015
that's not true @Ron

Facebook uses no database but mappings.
They also aren't using MySql anymore becouse of the mappings they don't need it.

But if you want to make your database faster you need to make a normalisation and make relations between tabels.

-Greets
0 Ron Butcher · October 20, 2015
If you are running a database that stores that much information, you really need some professional database classes and certifications.  That way you can learn about database normalization, indexing, and how to make a database as efficient as possible.  That is how these big companies do it.  They make the database as efficient as possible and know how to index the proper tables for quicker searching.

Facebook uses MySQL, well a highly customized version of it anyways.  Even though it is open source it is a very reliable and fast DBMS.

SQL & Databases

107,337 followers
About

Everything SQL and Databases related in here!

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator