Python Text-Based Rpg Enemy Attack System Help!

+1 Vincent Gizzarelli · September 17, 2015
Alright so I'm working on a text-based space-themed rpg in Python where you control your own fleet of different variations of ships and you have to go out to conquer the universe. I need to create a system where the enemy will be able to attack the player but the way I have player health set up starts to make that pretty complex.

First for every ship in your fleet it has it's own unique ship number and individual health. 

code example:

for ship in range(ExploreIG.Bships):
            global Bshipnum
            Bshipnum = ExploreIG.Bshipnum
            ExploreIG.Bshiph.update({Bshipnum:100})
            ExploreIG.Bshipnum += 1

What I need is a system where the enemy will have a random range of attack like 50-100 for example and say the enemy will
end up dealing 70 damage. I need that distributed to a random amount of ships. So split up the 70 to a random amount of ships.
so in a fleet of 100 ships it might affect 10 ships and deal 5 damage to one of them, 7 damage to another, etc. (Dividing the damage among the ships [NOT EVENLY, BUT RANDOMLY]) 

So basically to sum up what I need is something that get's random keys from dictionaries and sets the values of those keys subtracted by a certain amount.  

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also I feel like I might have sounded pretty confusion so if you need to me to clear up any confusion please do 
say so. Thanks in advance!

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
+1 Vincent Gizzarelli · September 21, 2015
Well i finally figured it out! I created a system where for each ship it takes a random amount of damage from the whole amount dealt by the enemy using this algorithm:

CODE:                                                                                              
            EAttack = random.randrange(1, ExploreIG.planetstr)
            EBShipRange = random.randint(int(ExploreIG.Bships / 3), int(ExploreIG.Bships / 2))
            EAttackBship = random.sample(ExploreIG.Bshiph, EBShipRange)
            EAttackBship1 = {}
            self.BShip = list(ExploreIG.Bshiph.items())
            for Bships in EAttackBship:
                key, value = random.choice(self.BShip)
                EAttackBship1.update({key:value})
            self.EAttackDO = random.randint(int(ExploreIG.planetstr * 0.7), ExploreIG.planetstr)
            for (key, value) in EAttackBship1.items():
                EAttackD = random.randint(int(self.EAttackDO / 500), int(self.EAttackDO / 70))
                EAttackBship1[key] -= EAttackD
                ExploreIG.Bshiph[key] -= EAttackD
                if EAttackBship1[key] >= 50 and EAttackBship1[key] < 100:
                    self.damagedbship += 1
                elif EAttackBship1[key] < 50 and EAttackBship1[key] > 0:
                    self.cdamagedbship += 1
                elif EAttackBship1[key] <= 0:
                    self.destroyedbship += 1
                    ExploreIG.Bships -= 1
                    del ExploreIG.Bshiph[key]

NOTE:
* planetstr is the planets base damage which I have set to 7000

If you have any questions about this code feel free to ask
0 sfolje 0 · September 20, 2015
Yeah, that is exactly what I had in mind.
And i cant think of better one.
I also had another idea of separating number into partitions, but realized it's useless.
for example : We can write number 5 on 7 different ways as a sum :
5= 5 ,
5= 4+1,
5= 3+2,
5= 3+1+1,
5= 2+2+1,
5= 2+1+1+1,
5= 1+1+1+1+1.
If we pick sums that has 3 summands (3+1+1 and 2+2+1), we succsessfully distributed 5 damage to 3 ships. We could then chose random partition in order to randomly distribute damage to ships.
But I figured out it is not working out good, because most partitions have one big number and alot of small ones.
Example:
partition of 70 as sum of 10 numbers, would in allmost all cases be like 38+21+4+1+1+1+1+1+1+1, which is pretty useless.
0 Vincent Gizzarelli · September 19, 2015
Alright so I figured out some of the problems stated previously. The only thing I'm having a problem with is random damage distribution. There is one thing I found though, and I was thinking of doing something like this.

EAttackDO = planet.strenth
for ship in BShipRange:
    EAttack = random.randrange(int(EAttackDO / 10), int(EAttackDO / 3))
   BShiph -= EAttack  ('Here is where the ship would take damage.)
    EAttackDO -= Ettack

That is the system I was thinking of having for random damage distribution
If you have any other questions or suggestions please do tell me. 

0 sfolje 0 · September 18, 2015
Ignoring code example, not fully understanding the goal and focusing on frequentlly used word random, I suggest a look at random module at python's documentation. (Btw I recommend reading as little as you possible, skip to examples, try them yourself.)
Module random can chose between numbers, list’s elements, not sure what you really need.
Thats how I understand you:
Wanna make blackbox function like this:
Blackbox( 70 damage, 10 ships)

Result: [10, 7, 4, 7, 6, 9, 5, 4, 6, 10]

Am i wrong? Can you make one example more? Feel free if help needed
0 James Kon · September 18, 2015
I'm stuck on this one.

If it was divided evenly, it would've been a lot easier. Maybe if once divided evenly you made a formula that would make it seem random for each number?

Python

107,136 followers
About

This section is all about snakes! Just kidding.

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator