Why Rent a Server?

+2 Otto Von Chesterfield · August 26, 2015
Hello,

While watching Bucky's MySQL tutorials, I noticed that I was told to rent a server from HostGator (or other MySql Servers). Instead, I searched around the internet, and found out that I just need to call MySql/bin/mysqld from the Terminal to host one on my own.

So why was I told to rent a server?

Post a Reply

Replies

- page 1
Oldest  Newest  Rating
+1 Albo Coder · August 26, 2015
I have no idea what you mean by MySql/bin/mysqld.
But there is a way around this without paying anything.
Try out XAMPP its free and pretty darn useful.
+1 Ron Butcher · September 10, 2015
You can run a web server from your house to host your website.  All you would need to do is to setup LAMP on a dedicated Linux machine (I like Ubuntu Server), forward TCP port 80 from your firewall to the machine, and purchase a Domain name and point it to your public IP Address.  I have been running three different websites for a couple of years now from my home and it works just fine.

Now let me give you some things to consider before doing this:

• Most ISP's will not allow you to host a website from your residential account.  This goes along the lines of "what they don't know won't hurt them" though.  If they find out you are hosting a website (unlikely if you do not have much traffic) they will shut you down.  Shouldn't really be a problem but you should be aware.

• Security is going to be an issue.  As soon as I got a domain name pointed at my public IP, the attempts to hack my network skyrocketed.  Only one bot needs to know about the domain name, or the IP Address and it will start scanning and making any login attempt that it can.  Your ISP should filter out most of this, but you need to make sure that your firewall and servers are locked down as tightly as possible.

• Depending on your ISP, your public IP Address may change periodically.  All residential ISP's use dynamic IP Addresses that are supposed to rotate from time to time.  My IP has been the same for the last year, but I have to keep an eye on it to make sure it does not change.  DynDNS.org is a good workaround for this.  It used to be free, but appears to cost now.

• In most residential ISP's your upload speed is considerably slower than your download speed.  If you have say a 10 Mbps download connection, your upload may only be at 1 Mbps.  This will slow down your site especially if you have images or videos that need to be uploaded to the visitor.

• Backups and reliability.  A server at your home is more susceptible to power and network outages.  You must also remember to keep current backups handy in case of a catastrophic failure.  Obviously you need backups with a rented server as well, but the likely-hood of a catastrophic failure is greatly reduced.

Hopefully this helps.  Renting a server does not cost much, typically around $20 a month and will usually be more reliable.  The three sites that I run do not get much traffic, and I am a cheap ass.  But at some point I will be moving to a rented server as I get my sites bigger.
+1 Albo Coder · August 27, 2015
I get it ...
XAMPP is wayyy better... PhpMyAdmin is so easy
+1 Abdullah Nauman · August 28, 2015
Well, if you plan to release your application to the public, you will need to rent a public server. 
0 Abdullah Nauman · September 5, 2015
I don't think people can access your app if its sitting on a local machine.
0 Otto Von Chesterfield · September 5, 2015
Servers are computers dedicated to being on the web. All you need to do is set specific settings on your computer and router and you're set.

Now, the how to do that I do not now.
0 Otto Von Chesterfield · August 26, 2015
So I just download MySql, extract it, and - at the directory of where the MySQL folder is, type that command in.
0 Otto Von Chesterfield · August 27, 2015
TBH, I don't use either, and I don't need either. I just need the terminal.
0 Ian Arbuckle · September 6, 2015
If you wan to run a server, use DigitalOcean. You mentioned LAMP so this tutorial may be useful  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfdtiltiRHWG29bLJJPwiz6WPD3wKv-b5
0 Otto Von Chesterfield · August 28, 2015
To start, why couldn't I run a LAMP server with computers I have in my house? I'm not going to expect a thousand people to look at my web app every week, and Apache can handle the requests, and Apache+Linux (with a few configurations to keep it secure and tips from many places) can help keep my server secure.

It's really only when my app starts to get popular should I either a) get better server soft/hard ware, or b) rent a server.

SQL & Databases

107,191 followers
About

Everything SQL and Databases related in here!

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator