Would I be able to learn c++ in 3-4 years?

+2 Austin DeWitt · July 29, 2015
I was just wondering if I would be able to learn c++ in about 3-4 years, I know some basics of it now.
The company I want to work for when I graduate school wants " proficiency writing robust, efficient and maintainable C/C++ code"
So would that be possible in the given time frame? 

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
+1 Sengngy Kouch · July 31, 2015
From my perceptive, I think the syntax always my big obstacle. I usually have to search around before I can continue writing my code although I know exactly how to solve it. 

One thing I learnt from my past experience is that you need to plan out what you are going to do first before even putting your fingers on the keyboard.

I hope this help.

P.S I am just a computer science major student.
+1 Bernhard Riemann Georg Friedrich · August 1, 2015
I think you would be able to learn the Syntax properly in a week if you dedicate yourself to it the whole day everyday. But as Kayler Renslow has said, it takes longer to understand how to apply the language to problems. In my opinion it is always the hardest to figure out where to start.
0 Dol Lod · August 2, 2015
For a basic level, I would say you need 20 weeks if you are fast. If you are slow, then half a year. This is assuming you are doing projects while you are learning and you want moderate mastery.

At the end of this time period, you should know: pointers, classes, functions, conditions,loops, basic I/O, file manipulation, recursion, sorting and classes.

If you aren't doing projects while you are learning, I would say add 5 weeks for sample projects for learning algorithm design.
0 Mathias Frits Rørvik · August 2, 2015
Yes, most definitely. If you have prior programming experience you'll learn it in no time! C++ is not THAT hard.
0 Mathias Frits Rørvik · August 2, 2015
Yes, most definitely. If you have prior programming experience you'll learn it in no time! C++ is not THAT hard.
+1 Sha Kal · August 2, 2015
I started not long time ago and i figured out that i am really good at problem solving, the syntax i needed, loops, classes etc. i could find in any tutorial i searched for and i just keep going on, those are the things you have to learn, literally sit down and remember them, but problem solving...you can do it or you need to practice a lot. So i think only real problem you can have while learning and something that can leech your time away is Logic (Problem Solving).
0 Adam Tindall · August 3, 2015
Yes sir!

C++

107,169 followers
About

Used in many types of software including music players, video games, and many large scale applications.

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator