Create a social Networking Website

+1 Damindra Thennakoon · July 24, 2015
Me and few of my friends are currently planing on creating a social Networking  website .What is the best framework we can use for this. codeignighter ?

Post a Reply

Oldest  Newest  Rating
+3 Mahmoud Atwa · July 24, 2015
well, first of all let's talk about the pros and cons of a framework :
A - Pros:
Tasks that usually would take you hours and hundreds of lines of code to write, can now be done in minutes with pre-built functions. Development becomes a lot easier, so if it’s easier it’s faster, and consequently efficient.

A widely used framework has big security implementations. The big advantage is the community behind it, where users become long-term testers. If you find a vulnerability or a security hole, you can go to the framework’s website and let the team know so they can fix it.
Most popular frameworks are free, and since it also helps the developer to code faster, the cost for the final client will be smaller.
As any other distributed tool, a framework usually comes with documentation, a support team, or big community forums where you can obtain quick answers.

B - Cons:
1 - You learn the framework, not the language:
I believe this to be the major problem. If you’re using a framework and you know very little about the language behind it, you will learn the framework and not the language itself. The way you code jQuery is different from the way you code javascript. Simple put, if you know jQuery, it doesn’t mean you know javascript.
2 - Limitation :
The framework’s core behaviour can’t be modified, meaning that when you use a framework, you are forced to respect its limits and work the way it is required. Make sure you choose a framework that suits your needs.
3 - Code is public :
Since the framework is available to everyone, it is also available to people with bad intentions. It can be studied in order to know how things work and to find flaws that can be used against you.

Now, let's talk about the PHP frameworks :
1 - CodeIgniter :
CodeIgniter is a powerful PHP framework with a very small footprint, built for PHP coders who need a simple and elegant toolkit to create full-featured web applications.

2 - CakePHP :
CakePHP is a rapid development framework for PHP that provides an extensible architecture for developing, maintaining, and deploying applications.

3 - Symfony

Symfony is a full-stack framework, a library of cohesive classes written in PHP.

In the end, if you wan tot write less but efficient code and will stay updated and constantly reading  about the security breaches,
you better use a framework (I believe that they are all the same and it is just a matter of taste(but yet there are some bettter than others)).
But the answer to your main question is :
use codeignighter , i did a little research and that's what i found :

CodeIgniter Pros
Great documentation -> Easier to work in a team.
All the development time is invested in the business logic.
Not reinventing the wheel

CodeIgniter Cons
Not sure how scalable it is if I'll want to grow
MIT License - not sure what it means, but if I'll want to sell my app on per license basis, I'm not sure I'll be able to do that.

sources :
1 -
2 -

0 Damindra Thennakoon · July 24, 2015
Woow Thanks a lot for the reply and for the time you spent on this.nowi have an idea of how i should do this thanks to you. many many thanks again from the bottom of my heart.
0 Mahmoud Atwa · July 24, 2015
:D  i am glad it helped you 
0 etimbuk udoekong · July 25, 2015
Please anyone out there who can help me with how to use php/mysql to create an admin that can update user information without updating manually from the database. I have created a login/register/profile/admin sessions. I have retrieved every user information from the database for the user but i want the admin to have the privilege of updating the users information. Thank you so much for your assistance. email me with any hint @" target="_blank">
+1 lovkesh kumar · July 26, 2015
i just found that you are going to make a social network that is very interesting 
i am also working on social network just to u know that may be u can help each other.
0 Damindra Thennakoon · July 28, 2015
Hi .yes its a pleasure to meet you and why not. we can share our ideas and knowledge.thanks for the comment
+1 Boy Patas · August 4, 2015
You can also check laravel & for tutorial you can visit laracasts :) good luck!

Server-side, HTML embedded scripting language used to create dynamic Web pages.