Buying a laptop

+2 Gary Miller · July 15, 2014
As a programmer going to school and working on side projects, what is the best laptop for the job?

Post a Reply

Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Cate Peterson · July 16, 2014
I want to know too! I have a Macbook now, and compiling and running in Terminal was hard to figure out and so different than the PC versions shown in tutorials. Is a PC the way to go over an Apple product? What languages work best on MacBooks? Any feedback would be cool. Thx in advance, Cate.
-1 Nikola Novakovic · July 27, 2014
Cate php or javascript works the same on apple products as on windows or linux OS.There is no such thing that works " better " on one machine then the other. Most of the time it comes to your subjective opinion is an Apple superior over the Windows or Linux.

I will say that the hardware for apple products is usually more expensive then for regular pc's. 
+2 Mathias Frits Rørvik · July 27, 2014
The best laptop is the one that meets your needs the best. Any laptop will most likely do, and as always you get what you pay for.
+2 Mathias Frits Rørvik · July 27, 2014

And if it were me, I would go with the Razer Blade 14 (2014) or a MacBook Pro 15" with Retina Display.

Me too, either one of those or one of Lenovo's high end ThinkPads.
+2 Eugene Botma · July 27, 2014
It really depends on what you want to do.

If you plan on doing 3D and/or video rendering, a nice big SSD, lots of ram and a good GPU is key. So basically a very high end laptop.

If you plan on just doing some coding, anything will do really. Coding (mostly) isn't that resource intensive.

Just get something you are comfortable working on and doesn't strain any part of your body, like your eyes.
0 Nikola Novakovic · July 28, 2014
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah :) watch out for your eyes mate :)
+1 Yoncho Yonchev · July 29, 2014
There is no best laptop, the same like there is no best programmer language (although I am big python 3 fan). Some features you will need: 

1. Laptop means mobility, so you should buy 13" or 14" laptop. If you are at home most probably you can connect it to big one or two monitors.

2. Good battery life so you can work without worrying about that. Something like 3-4 hours regular use aka programming;

3. Good screen because you don't want your eyes get tired. The same goes with the good keyboard.

3. You will need SSD, it will make most applications work blazing fast. Some people claim SSD is more important then RAM;

4. Between 4-8 GB of RAM;

5. Most CPUs are more then enough, but in the recent ears Intel CPUs are better. 

I recently bought 5 years old 13.3 " DELL Latitude  to carry with me, without getting worried if it breaks or get stolen. Battery life is about 3 hours.  I have 8 ddr3 Ram, core 2 duo with solid case for about 200$ (1 year warranty for used laptop), bought for about 50$ 120 gb SSD. My OS is Linux mint 17 and everything works like a charm. 

The choice of your OS depends on the programming language you choose.
Linux is superior then Windows for python, ruby, clojure and a lot more. Learning to use terminal is no brainer.
0 Encik Sejati · October 11, 2014
If u got budget are high should by brand and famous such asus (which at my country very famous with cooling system)
but for me low budget i prefer laptop brand name like lenovo or HP
0 Nika Mchedlidze · October 13, 2014

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah watch out for your eyes mate 

Wait, are laptops bad for eyes? I have been using laptops for 9 years.
0 Eugene Botma · October 16, 2014
any screen can be bad for you eyes if not set up correctly. If you have to squint to read anything on the screen, you're probably doing some damage. It's important to get a screen/laptop that doesn't strain you eyes or wrists or anything for that matter. I am aware that just about all displays can adjust brightness and gamma and just about anything you need, but people don't know how to do it and end up hurting their eyes.

A place for hardware news, reviews and intelligent discussion.

Bucky Roberts Administrator