How long does a coding tutorial stay valid?

+1 Eric Persson · July 14, 2014

I'm just posting this in general chat, because I really don't know what language I want to start with. 

My question though, I guess it focus more on the big languages out there

Java, C++, C#, JS, Ruby, Python etc.

I know that for example HTML is updated realatively frequently, and you gotta keep up with it. 
But how is it for other languages like the once mentioned above? 

Are buckys tutorials on C++ and Java still valid, or are they outdated? 
How much has really happened in those languages? 
Does it really matter if you learn older code, or can you still make functioning programs with it? 

Would be really happy for answears! :)

Bonus question

If I don't know what language I really want to learn, but say I hope to get a job easy in the next couple of years, wich language gives me the best chanse?
I know that Java is really big and exist in nearly every electronic device so...

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Nivilus Vranck · July 22, 2014
I have deleted all my posts in this topic since appearently you can't make a suggestion without people going nuts over it.
My intention was not to start a discussion/flame war over stupid shit like this, all i did was make some suggestions on what languages are good to learn. Which included PHP since it is one of the most popular languages for the web out there. If you are going to deny that, whatever, go ahead, even tho it's one of the most known scripting languages for the web. Im going to leave it at this. Because this is getting stupid.
-1 Mathias Frits Rørvik · July 22, 2014
Still more. Sorry, bro.
-1 Mathias Frits Rørvik · July 22, 2014
Belgium? I just checked, there are more Java jobs than PHP jobs.
0 Mathias Frits Rørvik · July 21, 2014
No need to get all aggressive. If you want to write PHP the rest of your life, I'm not going to stop you However most big tech companies I know don't use PHP for their enterprise web applications. After some quick research I also found out that PHP developers earn less than other developers on average.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with PHP, but arguing that you won't find a job if you don't know PHP is just plain stupid.

There is no such thing as a one true language to rule them all. Have you even tried using any other languages fro web dev, like python using flask?
0 Eric Persson · July 15, 2014
Good to know! 
+1 Mathias Frits Rørvik · July 14, 2014
Buckys C++ videos does not cover the most recent standard. Which came out in 2011 and is now widespread and a lot has been added. I'd say the C++ tutorials are definitely outdated. 

Other Programming Languages

106,942 followers
About

I think it is pretty obvious what this section is for.

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator