test apps on a physical device

+1 Asir Sadman · July 4, 2015
hi,

I m following bucky's android app tutorial series. rather than testing on emulator which i cant due to haxm not supported on my laptop, i want to test it on my google nexus 5.

i am using surface pro 3 with windows 8.1 if its relevant.

how do i test app on my google nexus 5 ? i m only on the 4th video of the series. before i start doing anything i want to ensure this step goes well because  i prefer testing at every change i make.

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Homeless Wonderer · July 4, 2015
I am assuming windows 8.1 has similar performance as windows 7, so first install the drive on your computer following the steps here.
1)Connect your Android-powered device to your computer's USB port.
2)Right-click on Computer from your desktop or Windows Explorer, and select Manage.
3)Select Devices in the left pane.
4)Locate and expand Other device in the right pane.
5)Right-click the device name (in this case your  Nexus 5) and select Update Driver Software. This will launch the Hardware Update Wizard.
6)Select Browse my computer for driver software and click Next.
7)Click Browse and locate the USB driver folder. (The Google USB Driver is located in
<sdk>\extras\google\usb_driver\
8)Click Next to install the driver.
9)Plug in your device to your development machine with a USB cable if you disconnected it
10)Enable USB debugging on your device for android 4 and above devices, its under settings=>developer
 if your nexus is running android 4.2 then it's hidden. To make it available, you have to go to Settings > About phone and tap Build number seven times.  yes freaken 7 times and you will see a small popup screen counting how many times you tapped it. And then return to the previous screen to find Developer options and enable the developer option.
you should be good to go. I am running galaxynote 3 on windows 7 on virtual Ma. on my Macbook pro.

Java / Android Development

107,228 followers
About

Very popular language used to create desktop applications, website applets, and Android apps.

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator