How fast is a processor?

0 Oussama Fahchouch · June 15, 2015
How fast can a processor be, can someone help me imagine how fast a processor in 2015 is?

Lets say we are talking about a 3.00 Ghz? How fast is this if you want to explain it to a child?

Post a Reply

Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Alper Akgoz · June 15, 2015
The fastest clock speed I know of is 3.47 Ghz that's 3 470 000 000 Hz which is equal to 2.88 x 10^-10 seconds. So 3 Ghz would be 3.33 x 10^-10 seconds, and this is the amount of time the processor needs to send out 1 instruction from one of its cores. Most processors have 2 or 4 cores so the amount of instructions they can send per second is either doubled or quadrupled. So if you want to explain this to a child just say they are so fast they can send billions of instructions per second :D 
0 Mr. Snrub · June 15, 2015
3.00 GHz means the cpu clock is switching 3 billion times / second

assuming the cpu's pipeline is fully utilized it would be completing 3 billion instructions every second

for reference, it can do a billion things in roughly the time it takes you blink your eye

so i guess the issue would be whether or not the child understands what a billion is  :D
0 Brian Nyaundi · June 15, 2015
 if you told a 3 Ghz processor to wait for a second, it sees that as a century
0 Alper Akgoz · June 23, 2015
Instruction sizes can be between 8 to 64 bits. Intel has pages for their processors that show their specifications, I don't know if AMD does though. Here's the link

Cache is a type of memory that resides in the CPU to make access to certain data faster and searching cache is easier than searching RAM because it's size is smaller. L1 is the first level of cache that processor reaches and L2 is the second level that feeds L1. L1 is smaller than L2 therefore it's easy to search for data, if the processor cant find the data in L1 then it moves on to L2.
0 Oussama Fahchouch · June 17, 2015
How big can those instructions be? Where can we find that information when we look at the specs of a 3Ghz processor?
0 Oussama Fahchouch · June 17, 2015
How big can a single instruction be?

What is the limit? 

Is it named CACHE or?

Other Computer Related

Anything else technology related including search engines, social networking, marketing, and more!

Bucky Roberts Administrator