Bucky's C Code Lesson 48 - The Heap

+1 Reynaldo Gunawan · June 13, 2015
I have a problem with this code, as it doesn't really give out the result that it should be given out. 

I've actually followed Bucky's way, almost, step-by-step, but instead of the average and the total, it gives out a bunch of random numbers instead. I would appreciate anyone you can help me with this problem. I have a feeling that the problem is on my compiler. (I'm using Mac OS X, NetBeans as a compiler in an internal terminal)

Post a Reply

Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 K D · June 13, 2015
for starters total is starting off as what ever was previously in that memory location so when u declare the variable have be
int total = 0;
instead of
int total;

the first way says i am going to be using a variable and i want it set to zero.  the second just say "hey give me how ever many bytes an int takes up(usually 4) but i don't want to set it to any thing yet" so when you do that it will just fill that variable with what ever was at that memory location.

i really hope i explained that well... just remember if you don't initialize the variable it has the value of what ever was held  in that memory location.

i really hope this helps...
0 K D · June 13, 2015
bleh horribly written sorry about that lol
0 Reynaldo Gunawan · June 13, 2015
@ K D oh wow, that really really helps. I didn't know that such a minor problem can affect the whole program in general. Now i've learned my lesson. Thank you once more! And what you wrote was actually understandable.

One of the most popular languages of all time.

Bucky Roberts Administrator