Non-Americans of thenewboston, what is your countries general feeling towards Americans?

+11 Bucky Roberts · June 12, 2015
Just wondering how different countries view Americans and the US in general. 

Post a Reply

- page 4
Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Adole Samuel · July 4, 2015
my own country hates every country from the west, which is very bad.......
whish i could convince them.
0 Cardinal Coog · July 4, 2015
I'm sorry to hear that your countrymen hate the U.S. with such disdain. I truly think that with a little more education; they would come to understand what America actually means / represents.

Earlier this morning, I read a letter from an Australian living in America. He was very articulate, very eloquent. He described how an American doctor saved his life as a child when no other doctors could diagnose his condition, much less, save his life.

He also mentioned something that struck a chord with me. I will have to paraphrase: Equal opportunity does not equate equal outcome. Everyone is given a chance. If you're willing to work hard; you can prosper.
+1 Bernhard Riemann Georg Friedrich · July 6, 2015
Here is what people in my circles (Germany) think of Americans...

1. Americans are mostly very fat and eat fast food
2. Americans have terrible education
3. Americans want the world's wealth to themselves
4. If war breaks out we will have to join their side

To be honest, there are some really great counter-examples to the first three ;). But generally this is what I have been taught to think about Americans and this is the attitude towards America of the people I know...
0 Bernhard Riemann Georg Friedrich · July 6, 2015
There was a speech by Obama in South Africa, where you can tell that the people there are very fond of him:

+2 Tatrasiel R · July 6, 2015
-- Ukraine 

Americans are afraid to solve problems they are afraid of conflict and feel that people should be "nice" . Instead of solving a problem you'd rather avoid it to keep a "good face". In the end it doesn't matter really how nice people were , I would like to see a solution and not have people avoid me.

Americans help a lot of other peoples. They are terrible in their own foreign policies.

I wish Americans were more genuine or cared about things. I get asked "how are you?" and people often don't stand to listen to how my day is. It's like you ask these things and don't really care but want to some how acknowledge that I exist.

You work too much. We typically get 21+ days off in a year. I had a month this year and many Americans work a year for 7 days off on vacation.

I wish American companies really cared about their workers. Your medical system is rather amazing. I used to translate for Ukrainian doctors and they said that "????????" (Skvaznyak) cold wind draft from open windows made you sick and gave you back pain. 

Over all I don't mind Americans. I just don't mind someone speaking their mind or sticking around to listen how my day is.
0 Jeff the Killer · July 8, 2015
In my country they think of you as "cool kids" or stuff like that
0 Branislav Lazic · July 8, 2015
Toward regular American citizen? All the best! Toward your government? All the worst!

P.S. Cardinal, I'll interpret that as a sarcasm.
0 wernich wilsenach · July 15, 2015
from south africa:
a little bit like yosemite sam, but with a fat eating problem.

deep fried butter anyone? or how about bacon icecream bowl?

i watch "last week tonight" and john oliver sorta makes me worry about your country.
0 Al Evans · July 26, 2015
Good for you, Varun and Erik.  (june 13, 2015).  You both hit on a truth about America:  Many inhabitants of other nations are envious of America and the freedoms we enjoy--including the right to bear arms.  And, this is still the land of opportunity for anyone here, or who wants to come here, and is willing to work honestly for what they want.  It is not guaranteed that they will be successful (no matter how success is defined), but it is guaranteed that they will have the opportunity to try.  
And, no one will interfere with their attempt because of their nationality, religion, sex, politics, or whatever.  Try that in the nations where those critics of the United States come from.  There are not many countries on this earth where the effort to personally succeed is even possible.  Unless your a G.E., or Apple or Microsoft don't even try.  You'll be buried in bureaucracy, rules and laws--all designed to prevent you from becoming a competitor to the entrenched businesses. 
0 Al Evans · July 26, 2015
We Americans can read.  Reading how some of you puff and rant about America makes me feel sad-for you.  This is where you are-- uninformed and angry.  It's sad. 

General Chat

Chat about anything non-computer related including, music, movies, tuna sandwiches, and more!

Bucky Roberts Administrator