What you need to get a job!!!

0 mike richardson · May 29, 2015
I think a category needs to be created for people looking to get into any area of IT can ask questions and hopefully those of us in potions that deal with hiring can give some advice.

Post a Reply

Replies

- page 1
Oldest  Newest  Rating
+2 mike richardson · May 29, 2015
I know it looks like i am talking to myself but there was a reply that was removed. 
+1 Branislav Lazic · May 29, 2015

You need to make them actually believe that your worth their time and money.

Interviewers that bite that bate are doomed.
Honesty is most important from my aspect! If you don't know something, tell: "I don't know that." Interviewers will appreciate that. Don't fool yourself that you can convince experienced developer you know something if you don't know... something. I was interviewer in two cases. Those were interviews that come before real technical interview. I was making people to fail really hard at really basic questions. If your potential employee is trying to answer a question in some... alternative way (not giving concrete answer), reject him!
+1 Branislav Lazic · May 30, 2015

Branislav, can you share some the questions you asked with me? I want to get an idea of the type of questions that are asked for developer positions. Also, what technical skills were you looking for (i.e. programing languages, computer science theories, etc.)?

Questions that I ask are mostly very straightforward almost without of any opinion based answers. On every question you give a very concrete answer. After an answer, question "Why?" is almost obligatory. 

Example of question: "How do we instantiate abstract class?"
Answer: "We can't."
Or: "I don't know." (good answer too)
Another question: "Why?"

Interview in company itself is like 3x harder and approx. 10x longer.

And there comes story about honesty. Why it is important? If you don't give a concrete and concise answers (if you are "wiggling"), other developers can't have a good image of what you know and what you don't know. And that can cause huge problems after you start working and get a job.

And yeah, last question. We are focused on Java technologies for web development.
0 mike richardson · June 1, 2015
I ask 3 questions of interns/fresh out of school candidates. 

1. Why do you want to be a developer. 
Money = wrong answer

2. If i assign you a project that you have no idea how to do what is your first step.
Ask me = wrong answer

3. Outside of school projects what have you written. 
Nothing = wrong answer.

I pretty much try to just have a conversation with them. Asking them things like abstract class, class constructors etc just shows they have read prep guides and memorized definitions.  I just figure that most college graduates have been through the same cookie cutter programs and i have to essentially reprogram them to code my way anyways .

0 Branislav Lazic · June 1, 2015

1. Why do you want to be a developer.
Money = wrong answer

I wouldn't agree with you about this question. But definitelly agree about 2nd and third.

Asking them things like abstract class, class constructors etc just shows they have read prep guides and memorized definitions.

That's why we have "why" questions. Basically, potential employee must convince us that he actually understands what he answered.
If you are a solid dev then money comes and we all know that. To me the answer i am looking for is to be able to constantly learn and be challenged on a daily basis something to that anyways. 

As far as the abstract etc just call it different interview styles.
0 Sampan Verma · June 1, 2015
I had views about online job. But after trying half a year, I realized only way you can get job is only after you do something really exceptional. Believe me forget online job. Try googling "Google Careers" and then find nearby Google Center. That's where you can prove your skills
0 Branislav Lazic · June 1, 2015

I had views about online job. But after trying half a year, I realized only way you can get job is only after you do something really exceptional. Believe me forget online job. Try googling "Google Careers" and then find nearby Google Center. That's where you can prove your skills

You got to be joking. I never created anything exceptional and still, I had no troubles in getting a job. Statement about Google is nothing but laughable (sorry, but it just is). And about what skills you are talking about? Programming skills? What about skills that reflect your personality? Ability to lead team, ability to learn, to listen, to work in stressful situations? You think you can prove them in such a short time as a single interview? Wrong! 
But hey! You are just 15. With all do respect, you don't understand how software industry works. Yet...
I have to agree with Branislav on his point. When i ask if they have written anything outside of school i don't care if they just set up a basic DB and built a UI to organize their moms recipe cards. I just want something to show me that they can do with out being told.
0 mike richardson · May 29, 2015
I have a job and i am one of the people in a position to hire.  

Suggestions

107,288 followers
About

Tell me what you like about the forum and what sucks about it here.

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator