Weather Info Script (Openweathermap.org api)

0 Ozan Enginoglu · April 19, 2015
Hi there,

After training some of functions of urllib library, I wanted to work on a nice weather project where it retrieves weather info from openweathermap.org api and prints our some useful information about the city I live. So here is the code I could write and then i will ask my question.

#!/usr/bin/env python

# Ozan Enginoglu - 17 Nisan 2015

import urllib.request
import json
from time import sleep

weather_update_interval = 60 # 1 Minute(s)

def get_weather():
    # Acquire and decode the openweathermap.org weather information
    api_url = 'http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/weather?id='
    api_url += '311046' # Izmir ID
    api_url += '&units=metric' # Metric Units
    url = urllib.request.urlopen(api_url) # Load the api web page
    api_data = url.read() # Read the page and assign the data to a variable
    decoded_output = json.loads(api_data.decode()) # Convert the api_data to an appr. format
    return decoded_output

#def is_weather_updated(previous_weather_info, weather_info):
#    if(weather_info['main']['temp']==previous_weather_info['main']['temp']):
#        return 0
#    else:
#        return 1

while True: # This is the main loop
    weather_info = get_weather() # Get weather information from the server
#    if(is_weather_updated(previous_weather_info,weather_info)): # If the weather info is different print...
    print('Temp %s\nHumidity %s\nPressure %s\nWind Speed %s\n' % (weather_info['main']['temp'],
                                                                  weather_info['main']['humidity'],
                                                                  weather_info['main']['pressure'],
                                                                  weather_info['wind']['speed']))
#        previous_weather_info = weather_info # Store the newly received data as previous one
    sleep(weather_update_interval)

Actually this code works as it is and it prints out the weather data every weather_update_interval [second] but I want to add an extra feature to my script. Since the data pulled from the server does not change every interval (it changes approximately every 2 hours) i want to check if the weather info is changed before printing it. I tried some things (commented parts in the code) but could not figure it out.

I hope you guys will help me.

Thank you,

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Michael Okoloba · April 20, 2015
# Ozan Enginoglu - 17 Nisan 2015

import urllib.request
import json
from time import sleep

weather_update_interval = 60 # 1 Minute(s)

changed = True # global variables are bad but for this case its manageable
counter = 0 # comment this whole line and corresponding if statement inside While True
def get_weather():
    # Acquire and decode the openweathermap.org weather information
    api_url = 'http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/weather?id='
    api_url += '311046' # Izmir ID
    api_url += '&units=metric' # Metric Units
    url = urllib.request.urlopen(api_url) # Load the api web page
    api_data = url.read() # Read the page and assign the data to a variable
    decoded_output = json.loads(api_data.decode()) # Convert the api_data to an appr. format
    return decoded_output

def is_weather_updated(old_weather): # You can even use this function but and store old_weather as global variable contact me if you have any probs
    weather_info = get_weather()

new_weather = [weather_info['main']['temp'],\
                    weather_info['main']['humidity'],\
                    weather_info['main']['pressure'],\
                    weather_info['wind']['speed']
                ]

weather = [i for i in old_weather if i not in new_weather]

if len(weather) > 0:
        return True
    else:
        return False

while True: # This is the main loop
    weather_info = get_weather() # Get weather information from the server

while changed:
        old_weather = [
                    weather_info['main']['temp'],\
                    weather_info['main']['humidity'],\
                    weather_info['main']['pressure'],\
                    weather_info['wind']['speed']
                ]

print('Temp %s\nHumidity %s\nPressure %s\nWind Speed %s\n' % (weather_info['main']['temp'],
                                                                  weather_info['main']['humidity'],
                                                                  weather_info['main']['pressure'],
                                                                  weather_info['wind']['speed']))

changed = is_weather_updated(old_weather)

print("Sleeping for 1min... btw weather has changed {0} time(s)" .format(counter)) # put counter in place of {0} its zero based like list
    sleep(weather_update_interval)
    counter +=1
    print("Am awake... going for check")
    changed = is_weather_updated(old_weather) # outer loop does a check if weather has change it becomes true (changed) so inner loop can run again

#        previous_weather_info = weather_info # Store the newly received data as previous one

Let me know if this helps
0 Ozan Enginoglu · April 20, 2015
Michael thank you for the code. I certainly could follow and learn from your code. I guess now it is time for me to make a gui (using Tkinter) for this small application.
0 Michael Okoloba · April 21, 2015
Am glad it was helpful. I never played with GUI on python really. In my thoughts I would say work with db and write to csv. While you have done well getting data. I have a site you can try to scrap. If you want i can give you it would help think because the site is messy. The real world is messy though.

Python

107,003 followers
About

This section is all about snakes! Just kidding.

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator