How should we tag people?

+5 Abdullah Nauman · April 4, 2015
There seems to be a lot of discussion about new ways to tag people. This post is for the community to post their ideas and make their voices heard. Up vote the ideas you like, the top will be picked and entered in to a poll, to be voted on by the community. 

My idea: 

#tag <Bucky Roberts>

Post a Reply

Replies

- page 1
Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Garrett Gillette · April 14, 2015
Yeah I'm going to add @ seems like the best possible option its simple and most people know it from most other websites.
0 HyJax LTD · April 10, 2015
There are different reasons for @ and #.  @'s usually don't get fed across analytics, expect as possible headings or classification.  #'s are used for both analytics and reference queries, if you can remember how you set them.  Analytics can do more than sell you better boner pills; they can be a developers best friend and then the dev can turn around and set his own hash reference name.  They can also be used as counts.  Right now I am participating in a contest via VeriSign for the most creative domain name and such.  They are voting and counting votes via #ing.  That @ symbol wouldn't allow for the same effect.

I, as one who uses hashing for referencing mostly... and a little of my own analytics from time to time... would still like some kind of 'supertag' that could round up hashtag sets into one tag for easy query later, say in bug reporting.  I liked assigning the ! symbol back writing database in the USMC.  That puts all three right next to each other as well.
0 Abdullah Nauman · April 10, 2015

I think @ is best.Abdullah's idea of using "#tag <Bucky Roberts>" is just to complicated. That is six extra characters just to tag someone. We should not give up something good just to try and reinvent the wheel. @ is simple, everyone understands it, and it is already used a lot on this site. Don't try to fix something that isn't broken.

I know, my idea is really really bad. I just wrote the first thing that came to my mind, in order to get a discussion started. Also, Bucky is the one that wanted to introduce a new way to tagging to the site. 

What about just (Bucky Roberts); . I know it isn't flashy but if you created a program that is what it would be. <library> --> using namespace std; --> section of the library --> Main = shelf and "BuckyRoberts" is the book. If it were in {} is the running program or reading "book".... So yeah just ()

Yes, I kind of like you idea. It backs up Wheatley's point of keeping it simple. 
0 Adam Tindall · April 6, 2015
What about just (Bucky Roberts);  .  I know it isn't flashy but if you created a program that is what it would be.  <library> --> using namespace std; --> section of the library --> Main = shelf and "BuckyRoberts" is the book.     If it were in {} is the running program or reading "book"....  So yeah just ()  
0 Arosh Khan · April 6, 2015
This simple # would be better. For example

#uolbscs.com
0 Abdullah Nauman · April 6, 2015

on liking a comment its good idea, even though bucky didn't like it, because if someone write a comment that you agree with him, you just like it instead of saying I agree with {{Abdullah.}}

An alternative to liking comments that was suggested by someone, was sub-comments. I think that would be a good idea. Also, let's get a couple more taking ideas guys. Then we will make a poll. 
+1 Mathias Frits Rørvik · April 6, 2015
What is wrong with @? It has become the common way to tag people across all social networks nowadays.
0 Tatrasiel R · April 5, 2015
I don't particularly like the {{}} . It's not intuitive at all, nor is it fast.  I keep doing {}{}

surely , with all the symbols we have we can do better?
0 Hidden Tesla · April 4, 2015
I'll prefer simply @ or #...
+1 Hidden Tesla · April 4, 2015
No comment is OK as we have forum for useful discussion. But LIKE should be there...

General Chat

107,037 followers
About

Chat about anything non-computer related including, music, movies, tuna sandwiches, and more!

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator