Python Tutorial 42 -

+1 Filipe da Silveira · March 4, 2015
Hi,
I am new to the forum and I am not used to the rules yet, but I hope someone can answer my question. I was following Bucky's Python 3.x tutorials with no problems so far. But when I got to Tutorial - 42 - Pillow, I started to have an issue and Pycharm is stating the following:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.4/lib/python3.4/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 413, in _getdecoder
    decoder = getattr(core, decoder_name + "_decoder")
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'jpeg_decoder'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/filipebcs/PycharmProjects/tutorial/32_thirty_second.py", line 9, in <module>
    cropped_img = img.crop(area)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.4/lib/python3.4/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 1012, in crop
    self.load()
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.4/lib/python3.4/site-packages/PIL/ImageFile.py", line 200, in load
    d = Image._getdecoder(self.mode, d, a, self.decoderconfig)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.4/lib/python3.4/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 417, in _getdecoder
    raise IOError("decoder %s not available" % decoder_name)
OSError: decoder jpeg not available

So, I searched the Internet for a solution and I found out that I needed to reinstall the jpeg libraries. I followed some advices that I found on http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8915296/python-image-library-fails-with-message-decoder-jpeg-not-available-pil, but it didn't work. I am using a mid 2014 Macbook Pro Retina 15 with OS X 10.10.2 installed. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me.

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Bernard Pyc0d333 Parah · March 4, 2015
have you tried uninstalling PIL?
then installing pillow, because to the best of my knowledge, PIL is no longer maintained.

And from your post I think you are using PIL,
rm -rf /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PIL
rm -rf /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/PIL.pth

to remove the PIL packages.

Then install pillow 

pip uninstall Pillow
pip install Pillow
0 Filipe da Silveira · March 5, 2015
Bernard Pyc0d333 Parah, just tried doing what you suggested, but it didn't work. Thanks for the suggestion though...

Python

107,342 followers
About

This section is all about snakes! Just kidding.

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator