"Scraping" Data

+1 Mike Jones · March 4, 2015
Say I wanted to build a program that searches through a website like ebay and I wanted to pull ONLY the car ads and output it onto another webpage, is this possible to do? I'm not literally doing this I just want to know if it's possible.

Post a Reply

Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Mohamad Mirohamadi · March 5, 2015
Its possible to doing that ,
you should write a robot like Google crawler,
Once I wrote a robot which bypass my College site captcha and collected information of more than 200 students , with Cell Phone number :D
0 Jason Knight · March 6, 2015
You could write a crawler, but PHP is not the best tool for that job. On github there is a ton of opensource crawlers, but i'd give Yahoo's YQL i try ... it does all the crawling for you. https://developer.yahoo.com/yql/
0 Mike Jones · March 6, 2015
Thanks, I will check that out. What language do you think would be best for creating something like this?
0 Mathias Frits Rørvik · March 6, 2015
Python, using BeautifulSoup is a very popular option.
0 Mike Jones · March 6, 2015
It looks like google crawler is written in Python which I have no knowledge of. Is this the best way to do it? I'll have to start looking at some python tutorials
0 Mathias Frits Rørvik · March 6, 2015
Good luck! :)
0 Mohamad Mirohamadi · March 7, 2015
You can simply use curl & php  and run your code directly in php cli
0 Mathias Frits Rørvik · March 4, 2015
You could scrape, but I think it would be easier to use the official API.

0 Mike Jones · March 4, 2015
Ok, I was just using ebay as an example. What if I wanted to do something like that with another fairly popular website that doesn't have an API? I would be able to do it through scraping or would I need to use something else? Also, could i accomplish doing this with php alone?

Server-side, HTML embedded scripting language used to create dynamic Web pages.