Making an exe from a python script

+1 Steve Medley · March 1, 2015
Anyway to turn these python scripts I'm learning in the tutorials into an exe through PyCharm? I searched google and only found py2exe which I can't figure out at all.

Post a Reply

- page 1
Oldest  Newest  Rating
+1 alex constantin · March 1, 2015
For py2exe, do this:
In the same directory as your main script file, make a file and write this:

from distutils.core import setup
import py2exe

setup(console=['']) #replace for whatever is your main script

Then, in command prompt, type in: cd REPLACEFORDIRECTORY
When you are in the directory, type this in in command prompt: 
python py2exe

Then it will start building the program and will create two new directories, build and dist. Go into dist, and you should have the exe application. Good luck
Lol, not sure what the link is to, probably a combination of characters, after the closing square bracket ] there is a closing parentheses )
0 Tatrasiel R · March 1, 2015
I personally use cxfreeze as you can get down to a single binary with out all the messy dlls .

import sys
from cx_Freeze import setup, Executable

name = "On Dijkstra's Algorithm",
   version = "3.1",
   description = "A Dijkstra's Algorithm help tool.",
   executables = [Executable("", base = "Win32GUI")])

use the command prompt (cmd) to run python build from the folder containing the file.

There is a simpler way now I believe you can just have your code get passed to the build script in the cx freeze directories .

Ah here is a YT video on this.
Wasn't aware of cxfreeze. Is it only for exe or will it do .app on Mac?
0 Tatrasiel R · March 1, 2015
I doubt it. However, You may clarify any doubts through asking the oracle google.
I just searched. For Mac OS, cx_freeze does not work "nicely" (not very sure what they mean) but py2exe creators have also made a py2app module, which works the same for Mac.
0 Tatrasiel R · March 13, 2015
I haven't made anything for OSX regarding this, as it runs python almost natively.

Since you've found this, then I think you should take the responsibility to document your findings and show how it works for others.
0 Miroslav Zivkovic · March 18, 2015
I have one newbie question: Can i run .exe script that i made in python on other computer that doesn't have python installed?
0 alex constantin · March 18, 2015
If you have converted to .exe I am supposing you should because the .exe contains all the necessary python packages. If not, please tell me because I am very curious
+1 Tatrasiel R · March 19, 2015
Miroslav Zivkovic 
Firstly, I like name.
Secondly, that is the point of creating an executable. As long as you have a processor that can handle the instructions provided in the executable.

@ Alex,
The executable will have everything to run the file.

This section is all about snakes! Just kidding.

Bucky Roberts Administrator