running ubuntu alongside windows 8 genuine

+3 gaurav krishna · June 15, 2014
is it possible to run ubuntu alongside windows 8 genuine without using virtual machines..pls help.. every time i dual boot it. it gets installed properly but after i restart the option to choose the os doesnt appear..

Post a Reply

Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 gaurav krishna · June 15, 2014
i am kinda novice in this bios thing... how to check which bootloader m i using??
bdw i must b using whatever a general windows user uses... pls guide me....waiting for reply..
0 Vraj Patel · December 21, 2014

Your boot loader is now switched to default GRUB because of your recent installation of Ubuntu. You might be missing the option to switch to another operating system when it starts up. If that is the not the problem and you are still able to access your Windows partition please use Google to research up on editing your BCD settings on Windows so that the dual options appear and are timed not to disappear too fast. I know you may use command prompt and the command "bcdedit". However, if your not comfortable with this their is a GUI alternative. 

Let me know how it works out. If it doesn't, I can suggest another route. 
0 Rian F · February 24, 2015
Let's fix this. When you are in Windows desktop, hover the mouse in left corner, right click and select administrator’s command prompt. Then run the following command:

bcdedit /set "{bootmgr}" path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi

After that is done, restart your computer and you should see options to use Ubuntu or Windows
0 Serite Ross · July 10, 2015
Ive noticed that when linux is installed alongside Windows, Windows likes to take over. I installed Ubuntu on my desktop and within a few days my computer jumped over the boot options and decided Windows was best for me :angry: I showed Windows though. I completely overwrote Win7 on my laptop.
0 Jon Z. · July 15, 2015
try one of these

Linux is a free and open source software operating system for computers.

Bucky Roberts Administrator