The Environment

+4 Sheldon Juncker · February 12, 2015
Okay, we're about to get started!

We're going to be using C++ with Flex and Bison (Lex and Yacc) to create our compiler.

The first thing that we need to decide is what OS to use for development? It's probably easier to configure all of these tools in Linux, but using MingW in Windows is not too bad.

I'm currently using Windows, but I can change to Linux (Ubuntu) if need be.

What should we do? I think that it's best if we all develop on the same environment.

Post a Reply

Replies

- page 2
Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Sheldon Juncker · February 15, 2015
Just finished installing Flex, Bison, and CodeBlocks with MinGW. It's not too bad. The only thing is that I'm not sure hot to set up CodeBlocks with Flex and Bison. To use Flex and Bison, you have to do something as follows:

flex file.flex
bison file.bison
g++ lex.yy.c

Since Flex and Bison take the files that you write and output a new file form those, I'm not sure how to get CodeBlocks to compile a Flex/Bison project.

It might be easier just to use a text editor and command line.
0 Abdullah Nauman · February 16, 2015
Great, I allready have code blocks, all I need is flex and bison, 
0 Abdullah Nauman · February 12, 2015
I think windows is easier since everyone pretty much has windows. I do'nt really have a spare computer that I can format, and the USB version of ubuntu does not save anything. 
0 Landon Luman · February 13, 2015
I don't have the flashdrive either, and Virtual Machines that Virtual Box don't work well at all for me. All that .iso crap confuses me
0 Abdullah Nauman · February 13, 2015
Yea, but I have a pretty bad computer, and only 5gb left. So a virtual machine, would be extremely slow. Or might just refuse to work.  I think Windows is best. 

Orion Programming Language Project

14 followers
About

This forum is for the users on TNB who are working on developing the Orion programming language. Anyone is welcome to take part in this project. More information will be posted soon.

Links
Moderators