soo i got a cool idea but..

+2 danial saufi · February 4, 2015
soo i got a cool idea of a layout. like rather than we bust our heads trying to make a responsive website which most websites look the same( menu bar on top an stuff like that). so i was thinking can we like use javascript for different size of screen. like if its more than xxxx than this kind of page will be shown. if its less than xxxx but more than xxxx then a different kind of page will be shown. It will be more interactive dynamic and wouldnt be the same old layout. + it creates different experience for different devices, content all the same but different layout. so is it possible?

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Çağlan Turgut · February 4, 2015
If I understand you correctly, then yes, yes it is possible but it is not recommended social-engineering wise because there is a layout that regular people are use to.
0 danial saufi · February 4, 2015
but doesnt it get boring.. like same old same old style?
+1 Çağlan Turgut · February 4, 2015
Yes I think you are right. I actually love original sites and if your target audience are creative and if they they're capable of navigating through internet easily it's fine to it that way. But if Google were to try a way too original design, average internet-users would get confused. So it actually depends site to site.

For example GitHub. The site design totally changes in mobile version and GitHub is an already confusing website. I, as a developer, still don't know how to do certain things on mobiles version of GitHub. But this is not a huge problem there because the target-audience is developers.

Some quotes that I found on blogs about mistakes that beginners do:

Thinking Too Far Outside the Box

Every new web design project is filled with limitless possibilities, so it can be tempting to try things that have never been done before. Innovation is important, but too much can sometimes be a bad thing. You want to create experiences that feel familiar to site visitors so they can explore your site right away with no learning curve. Getting the basics right is difficult enough, so if you haven’t made too many websites yet, it’s a good idea to embrace common design patterns. Simplicity can be just as exciting as innovation if it’s done well.

Exceptions and Alternatives

Even if you’re not very experienced, you can certainly experiment in the right context. It’s rarely a good idea to take a big risk on a big client project, but if you’ve executed something well already in a side project, then using it in production is the next step. Continuously building side projects and exploring new approaches will help evolve your professional work.

Mysterious and Complex Navigation

Navigation is probably one of the most difficult aspects of web design. In all my projects, I’ve spent quite a lot of time thinking about how all the screens flow together, how everything is labeled, what should be on its own page and what can be combined, and so on. If there’s any single word that can make a huge impact on your site’s usability, it’s probably something in the navigation.

Massive sites like Wikipedia or Facebook have millions of pages, but they all flow together in a stream of consciousness without overwhelming visitors. It seems effortless because they do such a great job. But if you’re just starting out, try to make projects with just a few pages. Be clear and explicit about what each page contains, then label it accordingly in your navigation. Mixing intentions makes things feel confusing.

Exceptions And Alternatives

It’s almost never a good idea to intentionally create confusing navigation, but there are some rare instances when it can be good. If you’re creating an experiential website (one that’s not necessarily meant to inform), some mystery might work to your advantage. For example, you might promote a highly anticipated movie or a new product by creating a game in which visitors solve riddles and clues, eventually leading them to the next part of the game. This is a special use case, so be careful with its execution.
If you have any other common mistakes you’ve seen around the web, I’d love for you to share them in the comments!

Source:http://blog.teamtreehouse.com/beginner-web-design-mistakes-avoid

"Do not confuse the visitor with many versions: avoid confusing the visitor with too many versions of your website"

Source: http://www.dailyblogtips.com/43-web-design-mistakes-you-should-avoid/

HTML / CSS / Web Design

107,280 followers
About

Discuss, share, ask, learn and teach HTML5 and CSS3.

Links
Moderators