Type of Language (Server-side / Client-side)

+4 Sheldon Juncker · February 4, 2015
Now, we have a name a GitHub repository, and thanks to Abdullah, we'll soon have a logo and a temporary website.

Abdullah was asking me if the language would be like CoffeeScript or TypeScript. A language like this would be translated to JavaScript.

Originally we'd planned on making a server-side web development language.

Which type of language do you think that we should create?

(Deciding this shouldn't take as long as deciding on a name. :) )

Post a Reply

- page 2
Oldest  Newest  Rating
+1 Sheldon Juncker · February 6, 2015
We'll probably be using a framework. Flex and Bison are amazing tools for generating compilers and interpreters.

Here's basically how it would be implemented on the web:

Model A:
In HTML code there will be a JavaScript request for a "script.orion" file. It would look like this:
<script src="files/orion/script.o"></script>

When the browser requests the file, the orion compiler will load the file, compile the script, and give the resulting Java file to the client. This is mixing elements of interpreting and compiling. 

The browser would then use the resulting JavaScript file and would never know that it was compiled from Orion.

Model B:
In HTML, the browser will request a "script.js" file like so:
<script src="files/js/script.js"></script>

Now there will also be a file on the server called "script.orion". When this script is compiled it will create the "script.js" file which will be used by the browser. This is traditional compiling as compilation and code generation only happens once. 

Each model has its advantages and disadvantages.

Does that explanation make sense?
0 Abdullah Nauman · February 4, 2015
Will we be coding a compilier from scratch, or using a framework. I think that the latter option would be better. Also how would we implement that to the web? 
0 Daniel Collier · February 4, 2015
i suggest you check out c++11 :) there is some neat stuff
0 Sheldon Juncker · February 4, 2015
Yeah! C++ is awesome and learning it will be great. But it sounds like you already know quite a bit.
+1 Abdullah Nauman · February 4, 2015
Ok, but I am not that good with C++. I can do basic stuff, recursion, classes. May be something like inheritance . But that's my limit. My web skill are epic though. 
Should I look in to refreshing my C++
Regardless of whether the language is going to be client-side or server-side, we need to decide what language we're going to use to create the compiler / interpreter.

I'm thinking that C or C++ will be best.

There's already a topic to decide which language to use.
0 Daniel Collier · February 4, 2015
what area do we need to tackle first?
Well, the browser wouldn't translate Orion to JavaScript. That process would either happen once during compilation or with each request by the browser. Either way, the compilation / translation process would take place on the server.
+1 Abdullah Nauman · February 4, 2015
Yea basicly. The coder puts Orion in, the browser translates it to JavaScript, and runs it. 
Yes, that's what Abdullah was suggesting.

Orion Programming Language Project

This forum is for the users on TNB who are working on developing the Orion programming language. Anyone is welcome to take part in this project. More information will be posted soon.