Type of Language (Server-side / Client-side)

+4 Sheldon Juncker · February 4, 2015
Now, we have a name a GitHub repository, and thanks to Abdullah, we'll soon have a logo and a temporary website.

Abdullah was asking me if the language would be like CoffeeScript or TypeScript. A language like this would be translated to JavaScript.

Originally we'd planned on making a server-side web development language.

Which type of language do you think that we should create?

(Deciding this shouldn't take as long as deciding on a name. :) )

Post a Reply

Replies

- page 1
Oldest  Newest  Rating
+2 Çağlan Turgut · February 10, 2015
Yes I agree, it would be a good start. I think now it is time to discuss partition of work and things to do. I also suggest finding a better way of communication between developers. Like IRC channel or an online conference of sometype. 
+1 Daniel Collier · February 10, 2015
yes, i think we should make and IRC. or just use skype
+1 Abdullah Nauman · February 4, 2015
Yea basicly. The coder puts Orion in, the browser translates it to JavaScript, and runs it. 
+1 Abdullah Nauman · February 4, 2015
Ok, but I am not that good with C++. I can do basic stuff, recursion, classes. May be something like inheritance . But that's my limit. My web skill are epic though. 
Should I look in to refreshing my C++
+1 Sheldon Juncker · February 8, 2015
So, is everyone wanting to make a Typescript / Coffeescript type language? Speak now, or forever hold your peace. 
+1 Daniel Collier · February 8, 2015
i agreeee ^ a language that is converted to js would be easier to accomplish 
+1 Sheldon Juncker · February 6, 2015
We'll probably be using a framework. Flex and Bison are amazing tools for generating compilers and interpreters.

Here's basically how it would be implemented on the web:

Model A:
--------------------
In HTML code there will be a JavaScript request for a "script.orion" file. It would look like this:
<script src="files/orion/script.o"></script>

When the browser requests the file, the orion compiler will load the file, compile the script, and give the resulting Java file to the client. This is mixing elements of interpreting and compiling. 

The browser would then use the resulting JavaScript file and would never know that it was compiled from Orion.
--------------------

Model B:
--------------------
In HTML, the browser will request a "script.js" file like so:
<script src="files/js/script.js"></script>

Now there will also be a file on the server called "script.orion". When this script is compiled it will create the "script.js" file which will be used by the browser. This is traditional compiling as compilation and code generation only happens once. 
--------------------

Each model has its advantages and disadvantages.

Does that explanation make sense?
+1 Sheldon Juncker · February 6, 2015
Probably by a couple hundredths of a second. :)  

The second option is better performance-wise but it is easier on the developer as code does not have to be manually compiled before being tested.
0 Daniel Collier · February 4, 2015
i agree on writing a client side for now, i'm not adversed in writing languages but would it be possible for one language to do both client side and server side ? 
0 Sheldon Juncker · February 4, 2015
It would be possible, but we shouldn't try to start with both. So if we create a client-side language, the language would be compiled or translated to JavaScript. 

I haven't worked with writing a compiler before, but I imagine that it is no harder than writing an interpreter.

Orion Programming Language Project

14 followers
About

This forum is for the users on TNB who are working on developing the Orion programming language. Anyone is welcome to take part in this project. More information will be posted soon.

Links
Moderators