Question about C++ books

0 John W · January 30, 2015
Hi guys. I'm about halfway through Bucky's C++ tutorials and I want to buy one or two beginner C++ books. 

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy Jumping into C++ by Alex Allain. 

Here's the Amazon link:

That book isn't very big so I want to supplement it with another more in-depth book. I think I should buy C++ Primer Plus by Stephen Prata. My question is which edition do you think I should buy?

The newer 6th edition has an average rating of 4.3 on Amazon while the older 5th edition has an average rating of 4.7. 

Do you think the older 5th edition would be outdated or not? And would the code in it be able to compile and run successfully in CodeBlocks? 

Right now I'm leaning towards the 5th edition because of the better rating and the lower price. But I may get the 6th edition if you all think it would be better. Or if you have suggestions for other beginner books I'd gladly take them. Thank you all for your help. 

Here is the link for the 5th edition:

Here is the link for the 6th edition:

Post a Reply

Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 mag magz · January 30, 2015
I got the 5th edition today from Amazon here in Tokyo Japan.

Just suggestion.

Good luck.
0 Mathias Frits Rørvik · January 30, 2015
Get C++ Primer by Stanley B. Lippman, NOT Primer Plus. The Prata book is not very good, and it is definitely not in-depth. Actually all you need is the Lippman book.
0 Earl Hudson · February 4, 2015
Before you buy any books... if you can put them on your computer and want to save a few bucks....       (A must have I'm finding)

Hope  they help you out brother...

Used in many types of software including music players, video games, and many large scale applications.

Bucky Roberts Administrator