Have questions? Windows 10 Technical Preview

+3 Doug Fresh · January 29, 2015
Hello all,

After several days of use with Windows 10 Technical Preview build 9926, I gotta say, it's much better than I expected. Cortana and search is slightly laggy for me, and besides a couple applications not transferring over properly to Windows 10 (from Windows 7), the OS is preforming admirably. 
A couple things to note about the Tech Preview for people considering giving it a shot...

1. All of your drivers will transfer over.
2. Setting up will take anywhere from 30 minutes (for fast computers), and for my old Laptop, setup took 1.5 hours. 
3. Some of your programs will need to be moved, or re-installed. In my experience, Google Drive, Dropbox, Catalyst Control Center (for AMD Video Cards) and my many versions of Python had to be either moved over to fix the file paths, or re-installed in order for them to work properly. 
4. Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 applications (for the most part) will work when installing. So if you prefer Windows 8 Project, and Windows 7 Visual Studio, this is do-able.
5. When the full version of Windows 10 is released, you will have 1 year from that point to claim your free full version of Windows 10. Rumor is, the digital receipt is stored with your Microsoft Account Credentials, so no more need to write down Key Codes. 
6. You will need to follow the steps at the Microsoft site quite closely to ensure your programs transfer easily.
7. If you don't have a CD drive (with ISO files, they need to be burned onto a CD or a USB Thumb Drive to be installed), you can use a program like 7-Zip to extract the ISO files to a folder (approximately 3GB). Then open the newly extracted folder, and double-click the Setup-exe to get started. 

-- Windows will be collecting the hell out of your data while using because it is a Technical Preview, be mindful. --

If you have any questions or concerns, start with the Tech Preview help search on the Insider Website. If you had any difficulties with the installation process, or would like to leave a comment about your experience so far, please feel free to share! 

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Toms Burgmanis · March 28, 2015
can u help me 
after latest update on my notebook internet don't work I see al connections and i can connect, but when i turn on steam or browser it says that internet don't work :(
0 Doug Fresh · March 28, 2015
A few questions to help troubleshoot:
Which build are you currently running of Windows 10? 

Have you updated your drivers?

What is the name of your network adapter? You can find this by right-clicking your windows icon on the task bar, select 'Device Manager', then look for 'Network Adapters', when you click on this, it should show a list of network adapters that are installed. One for Ethernet, and one fore Wireless adapters.

Now a couple of things for you to try:
If you have an Ethernet wire, try connecting directly from your laptop to your network switch or router and check your internet connection. 

You could also try going into you Power Options, (usually a battery icon on the right side of your taskbar) and click on 'Edit Plan Settings'. Then in the window that pops up, scroll down through the available settings, double-click on 'Wireless Adapter Settings' and change those settings in the dropdown list to 'Maximum Performance'. 

Microsoft

106,978 followers
About

Apple fanboys not allowed.

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator