Why do you program?

+23 Bucky Roberts · January 27, 2015
For me, it is because I like to build things. Programming (to me) is like the coolest toy you could ever buy. At first, learning was really frustrating whenever I would have a bug I couldn't figure out, or even just feeling overwhelmed by the amount of stuff there was to learn. But after a while the ability to create new things whenever I felt far outweighed everything else. 

Its awesome being able to build things without having to buy supplies or material. All you need is knowledge, time, and some motivation. Pretty cool if you think about it  :)

Post a Reply

- page 2
Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 wernich wilsenach · July 15, 2015
late nineties i when i was about 13 i started getting interested in it. i knew computers worked with ones and zeros, but i couldn't imagine how someone could write a program that way. it was like trying to imagine how big the universe is.

at around 16 we started turbo pascal at school and since then i've been hooked. probably my biggest problem was our crap expensive internet in south africa at that time, and also games. i was very easily distracted...
(fighting the urge to check facebook now)

now i'm pretty much watching tutorials all the time. at this moment i'm looking into assembly (a bit difficult), bootstrap, c, c#, html5 & css, knockout, mongo, nodejs, php. i enjoy watching tutorials and learning new things.

now programming has completely taken over. it really is the coolest toy ever - i still haven't finished uncharted3 and i started playing it about 2 years ago. :D
0 Mete Öncü · July 15, 2015
" the coolest toy you could ever buy" is pretty good expression. Coding makes me feel like I am creating my soldiers and workers. They try to realize my wishes nonstop. It's awesome. It is like talking to machines.
0 Alex Proksch · July 15, 2015
     I am an artist at heart and I have always loved to create and build things. So when I got into computers and found out that you can build and create things in a space that seems infinite, and build what ever you can dream up or desire. I thought, hey thats pretty cool. I want to do that. That's why I code. Its my release. 
0 Adam Tindall · July 13, 2015
I program because it is like waking up with a new puzzle every day without ambiguity.  There is a solution we just need to keep calm and figure it out.  If not today. Sleep on it and try again tomorrow. Simple  It was very hard to solve problems as a marketing manager with dollars that are worth something different to each individual.  In coding we all are here to build something we would like to see.  That said, you are your own boss. Although I was slow to understand you get what you put in.  And I like that more that  money.                                  

When I code and hand what I made to someone I can only hope they put it to good use.  In my past life I eventually knew what I was doing was not "good" and so I felt bad for doing so.  That said without doing that I would never have found coding which I can live with and do forever.  I believe what you do and who you are is integrally linked.  Coding enables me to learn , work for myself and others at the same time. Pop on a documentary or music, open code and go. Simply awesome...
0 leon krugliakov · July 12, 2015
Programming is magic to me. Making a program run successfully is the most enjoyable thing I know, and also trying to problem solve the issues with a program is also fun for me.
0 Abdurrahman M. Rabah · July 8, 2015
I program because I want to achieve my dream ..
My dream was always creating a good game .. I am still 16 years old but I still have a lot of dreams to achieve in the soon future .. and I want to achieve 'em all
+1 mike richardson · July 8, 2015
Make peoples lives better!! Current project is also converting tons and tons of paper work to electronic formats GO GREEN!!!
0 Arira joseph · July 8, 2015
To me, programming is An important tool for harnessing my inner most potentials, For solving problems. that's why I love it real gud
+1 Sam Mazarei · July 8, 2015
It's like magic... and you can control it if you only learn the right words... Coding is like the ultimate puzzle. Intimidating at first but slowly you get the hang of it and all of a sudden a whole new world opens up. Personally , I was so excited the first couple times I got the code to do what I wanted it to do, I would tell anybody nearby all about it... but nobody could really follow what I was talking about. It's amazing that people are so tied to their computers and mobile devices but have no idea how they work nor even care. I keep coding and keep studying and keep learning because I feel a sense of satisfaction, even when the bugs rear their ugly heads, even when I can't find a fix and am forced to put an exercise on the back burner. There's just something about getting these things, these machines, to do what you tell them to and have what you tell them to line up perfectly with what you want them to do...
And I still suck at it. I love it so and I'm not even any good at it... yet. Just wait 'til I am...
0 alex constantin · July 6, 2015
I just find it fun

General Chat

Chat about anything non-computer related including, music, movies, tuna sandwiches, and more!

Bucky Roberts Administrator