Why do you program?

+23 Bucky Roberts · January 27, 2015
For me, it is because I like to build things. Programming (to me) is like the coolest toy you could ever buy. At first, learning was really frustrating whenever I would have a bug I couldn't figure out, or even just feeling overwhelmed by the amount of stuff there was to learn. But after a while the ability to create new things whenever I felt far outweighed everything else. 

Its awesome being able to build things without having to buy supplies or material. All you need is knowledge, time, and some motivation. Pretty cool if you think about it  :)

Post a Reply

Replies

- page 1
Oldest  Newest  Rating
+13 M Uxi · January 27, 2015
All you need is knowledge, time, and tuna and some motivation.
+4 Neil Cannon · January 27, 2015
Love technology and solving tech problems. Sharing and receiving knowledge with likeminded people from different walks of life.
+2 Abdullah Nauman · February 10, 2015
I just love put together, a couple pieces of text and see it all come to life for me. I  initially came in to programming so I could make games, but I have found out that what I really like is Web and app development. First I saw buckys C++ tutorials so that I could watch his Ogre3D and blender tutorials. But then he changed his mind and decided to do UDK instead. Sadly UDK, was not compatible with my video card. So I could not use it. Then after some searching I found these 2 JavaScript libraries, BabylonJS and ThreeJS. With these I could make games with out having to download all that heavy software. So I started watching bucky's Web Developmet tutorials. During that process, I discoved a web development community project called Buckysroom, and now here I am! :)
+2 Rehman . · January 29, 2015
well i guess i'm in the frustrating part right now hope some day i'll get fa-miler with programming.
+2 Mr. Computer · January 27, 2015
Because i love it 
Programming is Awesome 
+2 ducky mcsmiles · February 8, 2015
When my grandmother was dying she made me sit by her bedside and she told me there was something in her life she had left undone, she told me that when she was 8 years old she was down by the lake playing tennis when all of a sudden she was attacked by a frog, losing an arm. She vowed one day to exact revenge on all frogs and eventually saved enough money to build a robotic version of herself to achieve this, sadly though she lacked the programming skills to enable it to tear the arms off frogs and it has spent most of its life unused in the closet like some sort of bad metal grandmother. As she took her last breath she made me promise to fulfill her lifes goal, to achieve what she could not and that is why I spend  night after night writing code trying to bring my metal grandmother to life, for revenge.
+2 Developer John · February 9, 2015
I have a fairly large story behind me wanting to learn to program. First of all, I have to say I hate the term "code". It sounds like the person using the term doesn't have the knowledge programmers have. Okay, here is my story:

It all started when I loved to play Minecraft. I was so interested in the creations you could make on the game, so I became addicted. I remember joining a server that was programmed to have weapons(such as guns and knifes), an amazing arena system, and great gamemodes. This server was based off of the average Call of Duty. I found it exciting how a programmer could implement characteristics from a game, and put those into another. It's along the lines of roleplay, because you're in that same game environment, yet the gameplay is changed. I was impressed with this Minecraft server, although, there were lots of changes I would have enjoyed as a user. I won't list them out, but it made me wonder on how you could program such a thing, and so I was introduced to the Bukkit project website. The home of the first organized Minecraft server client, enabling programmers to follow the Bukkit API, using the Java programming language, to allow them to make their own Minecraft server modifications for players to enjoy. I'm pretty sure many Java programmers would hate me for stating this, but I jumped into the Bukkit API without even learning Java. That was a brief view on how motivated I was, yet still am. I thought of Java as a useless tool, very similar to those extra programs people don't need to use, since they have their own that covers that, and other things. For instance, Advanced System Care versus AVG. Anyway, I found out myself that I would not be successful, so my journey lead me here. I learned the tutorials I thought I would need to know in order for me to create my server modification. I eventually failed, so I illegally downloaded an ebook and started reading a book called Head First Java. I only read to about 100 pages of it, an then quit, since my opinion on it was the way they worded things. I was misunderstanding parts of Java as well, so it didn't work out for me. After this long period of time, I gave up for two months, went back into gaming, and then finally made up my second decision. I wanted to try harder this time by illegally downloading another ebook that was titled Java For Dummies Fifth Edition. Finally, a book that was making more sense to me started making me more motivated, until I reached around 150 pages, and quit once more, due to the misunderstanding of the context. The gaming surged against me again, as I gave up for three months. I attempted once more, and this attempt was my most powerful attempt of all. Instead of reading ebooks, I began reading the Oracle Tutorials and watching several Youtube videos. Here I am today. I hate it how people say that Youtube videos don't really teach you anything. Hey, I basically learned half of my information from Youtube videos, so you need to get your facts straight. Before I go into making a server modification, I want to attempt creating a game that is filled with adventure and monsters. I already have several ideas for the game, but I want to point out something that has happened. Since Microsoft owns Mojang(the company that owns Minecraft), Bukkit has fallen dramatically. I was very depressed during April as this happened, so I switched over to Spigot. Spigot allows me to become more creative with my server modification, due to the added features. If you don't know this, Spigot uses the entire Bukkit API with some added features for more customization. Spigot is just like Bukkit, but Spigot isn't dead, yet is still living after Microsoft claimed Mojang. Thanks for reading this, and also for the great discussion topic. I don't normally tell people this, so there you go. That was my story.8-) 
+1 Cardinal Coog · January 29, 2015
The main reason I program is because I can't afford to play golf all day, everyday.
+1 Crazy Ninja · February 11, 2015
I'm also frustrated alot. Cos even thought i am working as a software developer, past 5 months i haven't build anything new... Damn, I'm feeling like lost. Cos in my work place, we have many issue fixings, not new developments. I feel like i'm wasting my life time. :(
+1 Tatrasiel R · July 6, 2015
For me it was a weakness as I was in networking at the time. I took this to round off my weaknesses and it ended up being extremely useful at work.

Now, I program to understand things and to hasten my work.

General Chat

107,170 followers
About

Chat about anything non-computer related including, music, movies, tuna sandwiches, and more!

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator