What you wish computers haven't changed.

+2 Bernard Pyc0d333 Parah · January 26, 2015
what is the one thing you wish the use of computers didn't change, you liked it the old school way?

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
+2 Cardinal Coog · January 26, 2015
I hate how computers have changed the way people recruit and hire employees. It used to be that you could walk into a company and ask for a job application or speak with someone from the Human Resources department / Hiring Manager. There was actual face-to-face company / prospective employee contact. Computers have made the whole process nameless and faceless. These days, even if you get to speak to someone at the company all they say is, "Go to our website and submit your resume." I feel like my resume / applications just get lost into some blackhole never to even be seen, much less read.
0 Bernard Pyc0d333 Parah · January 26, 2015
yea Cardinal, the downside is that you never get to show your skills or talk to the recruiter directly, it's a shame right?
+1 c student · January 26, 2015
computers are machines.  machines are automated.  automation is speed and efficiency.  speed and efficiency is faster processing time.  time is money.

hate to break it to you but this is the cruel world we live in.
+1 Cardinal Coog · January 26, 2015
C Student: I completely understand and agree with your argument. Computers are tools. They were created by humans and designed to make it easier and faster for humans to accomplish tasks. However, computers as we know them today still have many limitations. They're only as "smart" as the people who program them. Yes, they can perform complex mathematical tasks infinitely faster than a human. They can be programmed to assist pilots in landing airplanes, move products in warehouses and production lines, etc.. They cannot though: Perform as lawyers, doctors, nurses, counselors, sales representatives, etc. Computers do not have the human feelings and emotions that are required in many (most) occupations. With regards to employment, the computers merely look for keywords in a resume or application. They cannot make a judgement call regarding a person's true abilities or how personable they behave (ie. work with other humans). 

+1 Bernard Pyc0d333 Parah · January 26, 2015
yea fact is computers are only as good as they are programmed.
+2 c student · January 26, 2015
computers process and organize data.  as far as resumes are concerned, well, that's up to the company.  i highly doubt any serious company would let a machine perform a task such as analyzing resumes.  as i said, machines are for automated procedures, nothing more.
+1 Neil Cannon · February 22, 2015
The over use of computers for simple tasks eg checking in for a doctors appointment, then going to the desk to speak to a human???
0 Mathias Frits Rørvik · February 23, 2015
That people could not look at their smart phones all the time. Every day when I ride the metro to my university, almost everyone is glued to their small screens. It's kind of depressing.
0 Abdullah Nauman · February 23, 2015
@Mathias, yea I agree that so much computing power should never have even been put in cell phones. May be if we were only limited to desktops, then we would spend more time with people, but still be able to do things like watch Bucky's tutorials:D
0 Roman Smirnov · February 23, 2015
Nothing, absolutely nothing.

General Chat

107,006 followers
About

Chat about anything non-computer related including, music, movies, tuna sandwiches, and more!

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator