Can I develop IOS on windows?

+1 Thomas Cloud · January 25, 2015
I just recently watch the IOS development videos that were put out on thenewboston you tube channel. I had never considered developing apps. Now that I want to try I've come to find out that Xcode is for Mac only, and I have a windows 7 laptop.  It seems that the only solution that I have come across is running OSX through VirtualBox or another similar program, but this is not a perfect solution.

So I was wondering if anyone else knows of a different solution that would work well enough for me to develop my own apps?

Post a Reply

Oldest  Newest  Rating
+1 Çağlan Turgut · January 25, 2015
No you can not you need Macintosh Operating System: Mac OS X.

But don't worry you can; 

• Install it as a virtual machine (like a sub-operating system) under Windows.  Unfortunately, it is a violation of the OS X software license to virtualize any version of OS X Client on any hardware.  But there are tricks to that:

• Or if you have an intel-based computer that supports hackintosh you can use Mac OS X as your main operating system:

+1 iRockson S. · January 25, 2015
As you rightly said,  xcode runs only on Mac OS X  platform. Considering your situation i'm also giving you another alternative which is called hackintosh! It's not best though but its better than using the virtualbox. Some of the hardware in few laptops are compatible with that of Apple and is possible to install Mac OS X  software on it. Find out from websites like if your laptop is compatible . If it is then you can install the Mac OS X platform and use the xcode. That's what i'm using right now it works flawlessly . I hope it helps .
0 Joe Long · February 2, 2015
So i made a virtual box mac and it runs great and everything but im running Mountain Lion on it so when i try to download Xcode 6, it says i need a newer OS X. Any ideas on how to get past that?
+1 Çağlan Turgut · February 2, 2015
I think the only way is to use a newer version of OS X. As said in the official webpage:

Soo, unfortunately the only solution is:

If you have any other questions feel free to ask privately or start a new forum thread (if you haven't already) so that more people can see it.
+1 Gary Watson · February 25, 2015
There is a new tool called Xamerin that is cross platform, so can produce iOS, Android and even Windows apps from the same source code.
This runs on Windows.

+1 Mathias Frits Rørvik · February 25, 2015
Yes Gary, it might produce x-platform apps, but it's using C#, not Swift.
0 Gary Watson · February 26, 2015
The question was can I develop IOS apps on Windows, the OP did not mention that they wanted to use Swift.
C# skills would be much easier to recruit.
0 Mathias Frits Rørvik · February 26, 2015
Yes that is true, I overlooked that. Sorry about that.
0 Gary Watson · February 26, 2015
The VM solution is also a good idea though.

I'm a windows developer myself, but never used Xamarin.

When I wanted to Apple development skills I just bought myself a Mac Mini which works pretty well

iOS Development / Swift

This forum is for questions, comments, and general discussion about iOS Development and Swift.

Bucky Roberts Administrator