Why php for buckysroom ?

-1 Yoncho Yonchev · June 11, 2014
Why you have decided to build buckysroom with php. The first thing that comes in mind is that you are most comfortable with it. But what are the technical reasons about that. I mean all new startups want to launch their mvpstartup mvp (minimal valuable product) as fast as possible, so they do it using ruby and python. Both are really stable and since they are mature languages now the hosting is not such a hassle.

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
+2 Samuel Oloruntoba · June 25, 2014
I am sure the reason Bucky used php to build this website is because its the language he is most comfortable with, sure he coulda used python, ruby, heck he could have used java, but he chose php.
+2 Samuel Oloruntoba · June 25, 2014
@Chan I agree Python is awesome
-3 Chathula Sampath · June 24, 2014
Just easy to Say as Bucky Says "PHP IS AWESOME"!!!
-2 Yoncho Yonchev · June 24, 2014
This is from my experience. To be clear I have good base knowledge in Ruby, Python and PHP and I have made simple websites with php and python-django. And I am quite familiar good PHP practices - php5, MySqli (mariadb), prepared statements and OOP.

1.) Works Great with HTML - Python using HTML templates on the fly, you should just hold your seat-belt. 
2.) Interactive Features -Python -Django  has inbuilt administrative panel, messaging system,  cookies and session. You don't need to think about it.
3.) Easy to Learn - Python is the easiest to learn language. His conception is keep it as simple as possible and there is only one obvious solution. MIT students starts learning Computer Science classes with Python because of the above reason. 
I have written forum application for one day having no prior knowledge in Python-django. I am fully aware I cant do the same with php and laravel.
0 Boy Patas · June 22, 2014
I'm sure this one is more clear now and yeah! 

Have a nice Monday guys :D
+1 Mathias Frits Rørvik · June 22, 2014
I agree with you statement, there is no such thing as a perfect language.

However I do not agree with Hajar, and it is not even his opinion. He just quoted About.com and the quote doesn't relate to the original question.  If he would have bothered to to actually write something I wouldn't disproved it.
@chan: I won't say it not perfect but I won't say that that's perfect as well. 
If you will believe that that's perfect for you then its up to you :)
-2 Boy Patas · June 22, 2014
@mathias: dude if you are not satisfied with our answer then the door is widely open for you to choose and try other languages. 
As I said there is no perfect language instead it is the preference of the users/developers which one if fit for him/her.

And in addition this debate won't be end up, so I suggest you read and decide which one you are more comfortable.

cheers! 
+1 Mathias Frits Rørvik · June 22, 2014
That does't really explain anything, it is just a pile of copy paste.

1) This is true for many other programming languages
2) This is true for every web development related language
3) What is "easy" anyway.

Seems like this was written in the 90s..
There are tons of server side languages out there but it will still boil down to which one you are most comfortable and more familiar. So in the case of "buckysroom.org" I bit he is more comfortable using PHP in building this site. 

For me it will not matter on what languages you are using it is on the usage and the usefulness of the product you created.

PHP

107,123 followers
About

Server-side, HTML embedded scripting language used to create dynamic Web pages.

Links
Moderators