Notepad ++ Linux alternative

+3 jurgen wolf · January 14, 2015
Whats a Notepad++ alternative for Linux??

Post a Reply

Oldest  Newest  Rating
+1 Colonel Panic · January 15, 2015
Sublime Text and Atom are the defacto GUI text editors for linux.   Vim and EMACS for terminal.    All four of these options blow Notpad++ out of the water.  

I use Sublime Text and Vim.    Once you learn the capabilities of the two, you will never want to open Notpad++ again. 
0 Vincenzo Marcella · January 15, 2015 is a very nice text editor, made by GitHub also
0 Bernard Pyc0d333 Parah · January 15, 2015
try Brackets or Bluefish for webDev.
0 Gregory Ballantine · January 15, 2015
I'm going to hop on the Sublime Text bandwagon for this, as it's very flexible, works on Linux, Windows and OS X, and it's also free if you don't mind the occasional popup window asking you to buy it.

Vim and Nano are also very good text editors that run in the terminal. When you get used to Vim (and I'm sure it's the same way with Nano; I haven't used it a whole lot) you can move around documents very quickly without needing to use a mouse, which is very handy. Vim also has a lot of documentation, so if you don't know how to do something, you can surely find it easily on the web.

I generally use Sublime and Vim, and I'm finding myself using Vim more and more often now over Sublime. Geany is also worth checking out if you have the time.
0 jurgen wolf · January 18, 2015
thanks for the answers

i was able to get notepad++ on linux ubuntu

works like a charm
0 Landon Luman · January 18, 2015
Sublime Text is amazing for web programming, you should try it out!
0 Mike Conroy · January 14, 2015
I also prefer using Notepad++ when on Windows and it's a shame it can't be used on Linux :(.

When I used to use Linux my editor of choice was Gedit which has similar features such as Syntax Highlighting.
However, another great editor is Sublime Text which is available on Windows, Mac & Linux.
0 Chris Sisco · January 15, 2015
I like Geany. It's very much like Notepad++
0 Tatrasiel R · January 19, 2015
Kwrite is AMAZING!

there is always vi which works well.

Also, depending on the language they're IDE's for Linux that are simply superb!

HTML / CSS / Web Design

Discuss, share, ask, learn and teach HTML5 and CSS3.