Moving from C++ to C#?

+2 Simon Andersson · January 14, 2015
Hey!

A few weeks ago i started learning C++. I've come pretty far into the language and starting to understand it pretty good.

However, because of some reasons, I have to learn and move to C# eventually. So my questions are following:

1) Should I continue learning C++ untill I understand it somewhat perfectly or should I start learning C# now?

2) Is C# in general easier or harder to learn than C++?

3) Perhaps a hard question to answer, but what are the biggest differences between the two languages?

Thanks!

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
+1 Simon Andersson · January 15, 2015
Alright! I think i got pretty much the most information from you guys. 
I will keep learning C++ at the moment as for I might have use for it
later and I'm not in a hurry to move to C#.

Thanks a lot for your replies, appreciate it.
0 Simon Andersson · January 15, 2015
Awesome reply, thanks a lot for your opinion. I suspected C++ was a little harder.
I am going to be doing self-teaching. It's not for any school projects or so, I just need
and want to learn it because of my upcoming projects. I could of course try learning both
at the same time and see how it goes. 

Again, thanks a lot. 
0 Mike Conroy · January 14, 2015
I believe the answer to this could be subjective but I will throw in my two cents.

1) Should I continue learning C++ until I understand it some what perfectly or should I start learning C# now?
This really isn't a decision any of us can make for you but it depends on why you need to move to C#. For example if it is for school/college and you are going to get taught it I would recommend continuing with C++ then learning C# from scratch. If you are going to need to self-teach then I would recommend to begin learning it now. Could you not continue with C++ whilst also learning C# (something to think about it, albeit could be easy to get confused between the two).

2) Is C# in general easier or harder to learn than C++?
C# is easier to learn than C++ as it is a higher level language. This is mainly due to things like not having to worry about memory management and pointers for example.

3) Perhaps a hard question to answer, but what are the biggest differences between the two languages?
As mentioned in my answer to 2 - in C++ it is a lower level language which means you need to be aware of more things such as memory management whilst in C# this is done automatically by the Garbage Collector.

C++

107,038 followers
About

Used in many types of software including music players, video games, and many large scale applications.

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator