Laptop for programming - recommendations

+1 music frissoner · January 13, 2015
Hi i just want to ask what brands or particular laptop models to choose that is suitable for programming and everyday travel to school? I am really tight in budget tho. thanks! :) 
- I am a student that practice programming (C, JAVA, C#, PHP) and hopefully android app development
- I love music and watching movies
- Light gaming
- Long travel from home to school

Post a Reply

Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Neil Cannon · January 13, 2015
Check system requirements for the programming language, ram, processor hard drive etc? Screen resolution the best that's avaliable. Which operating system? Windows, mac or linux? Answer these questions and then look for that laptop!
0 Mathias Frits Rørvik · January 13, 2015
Programming doesn't really require any special hardware, though it is nice with good hardware.

Music and movies can be played on most laptops

What games do you play?

Since you spend time travelling, a small form factor and good battery life seems to be a priority. 
0 Umar ( ゚ヮ゚) · March 19, 2015
I usually Carry around HP Stream 11

small, and pretty cheap in price, but durable!

if you want to check out the full review on it

0 Dol Lod · March 19, 2015
Mac is the best overall option for heavy programming. It offers everything essentially: using bootcamp you can get windows 7 or something without any problems.  This also gives access to Linux features by default through Mac like make, gcc. It is also easy to pick up other languages and use them directly b/c of this such as OCaml, PHP, Java ... 

Installations are also a lot cleaner on a MAC b/c it's a simple drag and drop.

You also have homebrew which acts as a convenient installer after you set it up to instantly install things. ex. brew install ruby. Brew is the best, just type brew install _ and odds are you can get a hit. I just decided to install perl and just went to terminal and typed brew install perl and done. 

Mac allows iOS programming and Android Programming.

Macs also convserve space b/c dependencies are used globally so everything is more efficient while Windows has separate libraries which are tied to each specific program.

Give up on gaming. I would try to get an NVIDIA card for CUDA if possible, b/c otherwise it is impossible to do CUDA. 

Must haves for programming: 256 gb, 4 GB RAM, processor: i3 or higher 2 GHz minimum

If you insist on having windows or Linux, then definitely get Lenovo, it is the best. 

Other Computer Related

Anything else technology related including search engines, social networking, marketing, and more!

Bucky Roberts Administrator