Developping on two computers

+2 Gabrie van Zanten · January 8, 2015
Hi
I'm just starting with Android Apps. Half of the week I'm home where I have an iMac with big screen and the other half of the week I'm working on my MacBook. What is the easiest way to be able to work on both systems on the same app? Just put the project in a dropbox folder? Is that enough? I understand I would then manually keep the SDK modules the same, that is no issue I guess. But I was wondering if just putting the project folder on dropbox is enough or would I be missing something?

I'm aware that I need to make sure that I don't code on both systems at the same time and make sure things are in sync before switching.

Gabrie

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Hector Boone · January 8, 2015
I just watched a beginner github tutorial on YT. The learning curve looks steep but it could be worth while.
+1 Kaveh Greenwood · January 8, 2015
I work on my websites from a project folder on Google Drive so I can work on them from wherever I please.
+1 Colonel Panic · January 8, 2015
I would learn git BEFORE you master programming.    Almost everyone I know says the same thing when they learn git: "Why didn't I learn this earlier."

Think of it like gaming.  

Cardinal rule: Save often!!

Git allows you to save often and go back to just before you "forgot to pick up x item"

Personally I use git and OneDrive.   One Drive allows me to have my code on every machine, and git gives me the ability to check it into my work's upstream repositories, and review change history.  
0 Hector Boone · January 8, 2015
Great question.

I was also thinking about doing this so I could try stuff out in my lunch break at work.

I had also considered dropbox so I will give it a go.
0 Gabrie van Zanten · January 8, 2015
Thank you. I've looked into Git and GitHub before and I'll first try to master programming before switching to Git / GitHub :-)

Java / Android Development

107,190 followers
About

Very popular language used to create desktop applications, website applets, and Android apps.

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator