ERROR: x86 emulation currently requires hardware acceleration!

+3 Ian Cameron · January 3, 2015
I had this error when I first wanted to use a virtual device. The problem has been resolved but it wasn't the most intuitive of processes, so I thought I'd add this post for anyone else who has this problem.

This was the report:

C:\Users\Main\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\tools\emulator.exe -netdelay none -netspeed full -avd Nexus_5_API_21_x86
emulator: ERROR: x86 emulation currently requires hardware acceleration!
Please ensure Intel HAXM is properly installed and usable.
CPU acceleration status: HAX kernel module is not installed!

Before I go through the fix, these are the things I checked:

• I did have an Intel processor.

• I had downloaded the HAXM installer. (It shows as installed but this is where the problem was, it actually isn't).

• VT was enabled in BIOS

• I checked hardware acceleration was switched on.

The fix involved locating and manually installing the intelhaxm-android.exe

This sounds quite simple and indeed it is easy enough to install. Finding it, however, was not the easiest. This is where I navigated to on my machine: C:\Users\Main\AppData\Local\Android\sdk\extras\intel\Hardware_Accelerated_Execution_Manager

but be aware that you may have to unhide AppData. It is a hidden folder within Main. To do this just go to Tools/Folder Options/View and check Hidden Folders, Files and Drives.

Initially I tried just typing intelhaxm-android.exe in the search box but that didn't show any results.

Anyway I hope this helps at least one person and saves you the time I spent resolving this silly issue.

Post a Reply

- page 2
Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Kabir Knight · March 29, 2015

Your processor should support visualization. . If it does, install the related packages to AVD.

If it does not, then you have follow these steps: DISCLAIMER - These steps are not optimal

In current AVD manager you can't. You just have the opportunity to use ARM images which will not need hardware virtualization.
To run ARM images:
Open AVD manager.
Create a new 'Virtual Device' OR right click an existing image and select 'Duplicate'
Choose arm* instead of x86/x64.
Continue with the wizard.
Although this is the available solution but still a slow one !!

Let me know if this works for you.
0 Amin Hasan · January 5, 2015
@ayoub el gouriani: install Genymotion for emulator in Android Studio
0 Dol Lod · September 22, 2015
Use a real Android device if you have one since that doesn't require HAXM. You don't have to use virtual devices. I would even encourage you to test on real devices after testing on virtual devices to make sure everything works.
0 SameR Sy · January 6, 2015
please help me I don't understand how I could solve this problem :( 
how can I fix this 

This computer meets the requirement for HAXM, but
Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x) is not turned on.
HAXM cannot be installed until VT-x is enabled.
Please refer to the Intel HAXM documentation for more
0 Dylan Dicks · September 24, 2015
@Amin Hasan I did that and I am having trouble using it in Android Studio. I downloaded Genymotion along with VBox. And installed them both. I created a new device in Genymotion. It loads and works perfectly fine. Then I go to Android Studio. I do this:
>File>Settings>Plugins>Browse repositories>Search Genymotion>Right Click>Download and Install>Restart Android Studio>Click on the Gneymotion Device Manager icon>Make the path>Then I click on it again but it says in the event log 
"10:58:19 AM Genymotion: Loading Genymotion library
10:58:19 AM Genymotion: Genymotion directory: C:\Program Files\Genymobile\Genymotion
10:58:19 AM Genymotion: Trying to initialize engine
10:58:19 AM Genymotion: Invalid path: VBoxManage
10:58:19 AM Genymotion: Initialize Engine: failed"
How do I fix this? Please anyone help me!
0 ayoub el gouriani · January 3, 2015
hi bro i have the same problem but when i wanna install the ''intelhaxm-android'' file i got this msg
0 Femtosoft Incorporated · September 13, 2015
I am in Android Studio 1.3.1, and I need help.
0 Deron Kosloski · January 7, 2015
Worked Beautifully!, Thanks Ian

0 Amin Hasan · January 3, 2015
You do not need this, install Genymotion and you will save much time!/

Java / Android Development

Very popular language used to create desktop applications, website applets, and Android apps.

Bucky Roberts Administrator