Learning Python.. (I just dont get it)

+1 Michael Marshall · January 1, 2015
Hi all,

Very new to Programming. thought i would give Python a go. really wanted to learn how to program my own apps/small games but i think im living in dream land.

i started to go through the tutorials on this site, which has been the best so far, but i just dont understand it.
to me it just feels like im using another text editor like word.

an example of my confusion is:

Varibles.  Tuna = anything                   a=b             Bread = Butter

Why not just type "Anything" or "B" or "Butter"???

and how does all this make a program once learned?  i no im jumping the gun abit as ive only just started the tutorials but im starting to forget all this stuff is teaching me already but i dont see how its important.

PLEASE dont get me wrong, i no its very important and i admire you guys that have taken it in. but should i just give up now?

Post a Reply

Replies

- page 2
Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Chris Nelson · January 2, 2015
Hey Michael,
I am in the same boat. I tried to learn python when I was a teenager.. I got about as far as print 'hello world!' But I have been revisiting it because I made a commitment to not just sit on the computer and accomplish nothing, but actually learn something of use.

I find Bucky's tutorials really good. Also, codeacademy.com has helped, but some of those lessons are taught with syntax prior to python 3, and it has changed a little bit.

Another gentlemen on YouTube, Richard White.. He is a computer science teacher and he only has about 4 or 5 python videos. However they were immensely helpful for me early on.

The best way is to just watch the videos and try to code at the same time. You really need to be writing the code to understand it. Also for me personally, when I am trying to code something and I can't get it to work the way I want, I sit and talk it out loud in the most logical way possible.

i.e, I say.. Hey .. 'If my score is less than 10, I want the computer to give me 1 point for every correct answer. I also want it to display my new score if I answer correct.. When my score is more than 10, then I  want the game to be over. Which in python would look something like..

my_score = 0
while my_score < 10:
  if user_answer == correct_answer:
       my_score += 1
       print ('Your new score is {}' .format(my_score))
  else:
       print ('Sorry that is not the correct answer!')

I have only been learning for just over a week, and it will all come together if you stick with it! 

Good luck and happy New Year!
0 Michael Marshall · January 3, 2015
A week.... Dang, you learn fast haha.
I started again yesterday from scratch (With dedication this time). Watch the videos + tried it out for about an hour... Only got up to "installing pycharm" then i stopped. Il give it a good old bash tonight though as i have no work tomorrow :)
But this time i understood everything as i was typeing the code into a program on my android and running it. Think its a little emulator or something but still it allows me to try the code while watching bucky on my computer. Nothing difficult at the moment just trying to remember the codes lol.
0 Chris Nelson · January 3, 2015
Glad to hear that.

I wouldn't worry if you can't memorize everything.. I think most programmers, have to go back and look up syntax from time to time. I think with anything in life, if you can gain an UNDERSTANDING of how it actually works, the vocabulary becomes much less important.

Python

107,054 followers
About

This section is all about snakes! Just kidding.

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator