Laptop Problem

+1 Predrag Kostic · December 29, 2014
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is supposed to be in the Hardware section but it does have to do with hardware malfunctioning.

I have a laptop on my hands, it's an Asus, 4GB, 2.2Ghz (i3), 750GB, crap graphic card, originally bought with win8 pre-installed.

The problem is, it won't turn on. Windows won't install, when I install Linux it won't boot.
I think it's hard disk is faulty but I'm not sure. 
Live CD Ubuntu works.
How can I check what is faulty?
I checked the RAM with something like memtest and it was ok.

Post a Reply

Replies

- page 1
Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Predrag Kostic · December 31, 2014
Thanks Stefan that is exactly what I've been searching for!
+1 Stefan Gost · December 30, 2014
you can check your hdd with this tool
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/
as the name tells you it is a bootable cd and there are a lot you tools to test your system 
0 Predrag Kostic · December 29, 2014
I tried both usb and cd, both worked only for linux before it completely shut down. The laptop was running really slow after a windows crash, and it wouldn't work, windows didn't even want to install (7-8, I successfully installed XP but this laptop doesn't support it) Linux worked fine for a while then dead end.
+1 c student · December 29, 2014
how are you installing windows or linux?
c student, as I explained afterwards: Windows won't install, when I install Linux it won't boot.(the last ubuntu i installed won't boot, live cd works now but i can't even install anything overwriting the linux currently installed, windows wouldn't install before i successfully installed linux)

Ahmed, it doesn't do that, it's just a black screen, eventually there are events like changes in screen but it won't boot completely.

After some searching I have found this SuperUser question and the answers seem to be exactly what I'm looking for so I'm going to try those as well.

http://superuser.com/questions/691539/test-laptop-hardware-condition-on-linux
+1 ahmedtarek mahmoud · December 29, 2014
Yes a hdd conflict will make your laptop power up for a moment then die again with the power button light on atuck
+1 c student · December 29, 2014
won't turn on meaning it won't even power up?  nothing happens when you press the power button?  windows won't install? meaning it does turn on? what error do you get when booting or installing windows/linux?  please be more specific.  it might be an hdd problem, google how to mount and check your hdd with your live cd.
Thanks but, are you sure, what if it's not completely dead?

I'll try it but I think it won't beep for I have tried to figure out what's wrong before and it didn't beep at all.
+1 ahmedtarek mahmoud · December 29, 2014
Look try to turn it on again power button light on and it stuck and the laptop beebs 4 times so it is a hard disk problem
No but before it went down (while it worked) it made occasional noises like tics and tacs.

Hardware

107,256 followers
About

A place for hardware news, reviews and intelligent discussion.

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator