Unity vs UDK

+15 Bucky Roberts · June 3, 2014
For people who have worked with both Unity and UDK, which one do you prefer and why?

Post a Reply

Replies

- page 1
Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Ben Elson · August 13, 2015
I was messing with Unreal new engine when you asked this question, since then I have been messing with Unity.
Unity has a ton of great tutorials, some of them have not been updated for the new Unity 5 but monodevelop will typically bride the code for you.  I noticed this early on as rigidbody gets turned to GetComponet<RigidBody>(). following commands here.  They also show you how to implement rb = GetComponent<Rigidbody>(); and then from then on when you need to apply physics rb is all that is needed.  Unreal fires off my cooling fans in case while building a simple scene.  Long and short, they are both great in my view but I am going to have to spend a ton of time really learning them both.  Probably need a better computer before I really get into Unreal Engine.
0 Kuroodo Ditory · July 25, 2015
Do not use UDK. UDK is old and out-dated. Use UE4 (Unreal Engine 4).

But for simplicity and easy-learning, go with Unity.

But know that you can do ALOT more with UE4.
0 Martie Murphy · July 24, 2015
I am a high school teacher deciding if I should use unity or UDK, what would the students like and be able to learn quickly?
0 Joey Bananas · June 5, 2015
I dont have a dog in this fight (yet). With that said I'd go UDK. Only reason being the hordes of crap games on steam made with Unity.
0 faisal azizi · May 28, 2015
It have 2 parts :
One is easy to understand 
Second is powerful 
Clearly unity is easy to understand 
Udk is powerful but hard to understand 
+1 Clark Alaan · April 13, 2015
Hmmm, I'm learning Unity right now and I'm having quite a lot of fun accomplishing the projects it has on the tutorial section of their site. Unity is amazingly easy to learn because of these tutorials.(You don't actually need to have C# experience, the tutorials explain C# pretty well in a step-by-step fashion. Though, it'd probably be better to have some general programming experience.)

Another thing to consider about Unity is it's Assets store. It is easily one of the best features that Unity has and I have no idea if UDK has something like this either. Also I believe that Unity can run on lower-end machines to make simple games.

In any case, I chose to learn Unity because of the fact that it's very easy to learn and there's a lot of people willing to help you with the learning process. There are even online live "classroom" sessions. So yea...

TL;DR: Unity.
+1 Bob The Zealot · April 7, 2015
Unity is way better! Crossy Road is made with Unity! Half the games on the Japanese ios app store hot list is made with Unity!
+1 Kuroodo Ditory · March 28, 2015
UDK is irreverent and old.

So as of now, Unity is better than UDK.

But, UE4 is better than Unity.
+1 Sampan Verma · March 27, 2015
UDK is very easy and powerful. You can do anything in UDK with novice experience. But in Unity 3d, you need a C# coding experience.
So as always UDK is best....
+1 Phouthasak Douanglee · January 6, 2015
Yea I agree Unity is much easier to understand and new user friendly.

Game Design / UDK / Unity

107,266 followers
About

For all game design discussion including Unity and the Unreal Development Kit.

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator