+2 Allan McNay · November 4, 2014
Has anyone had a problem when using the Run tab in notepad++. I am trying to view my site after I save. When I click the Run in Google Chrome nothing happens. I have tried the other browsers as well and still nothing. Is there an issue with the program?

Post a Reply

Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Ivan M. · November 5, 2014
Did you save it as HTML ?
0 Allan McNay · November 5, 2014
Yes its saved as HTML. I can view it by clicking on the file through the folder. The program wont do anything when you choose to run in Chrome or any of the other browsers.
0 Ron Butcher · November 6, 2014
To fix it you need to adjust the shortcuts.xml file.  It should be located at (on Windows 7) C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\shortcuts.xml

Open that file with notepad or your second favorite text editor (not Notepad++).  Under the UserDefinedCommands section you can adjust the paths to your browsers and even add additional shortcuts.

The current setting should say:

<Command name="Launch in Chrome" Ctrl="yes" Alt="yes" Shift="yes" Key="82">chrome &quot;$(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)&quot;</Command>

Change the chrome I highlighted in red to the following:

&quot;C:\FullPathToChrome.exe&quot;       You need to get the full path to your chrome executable.  For example, in mine, the line looks like this:

<Command name="Launch in Chrome" Ctrl="yes" Alt="yes" Shift="yes" Key="82">"C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" "$(FULL_CURRENT_PATH)"</Command>

Make sure there is a space between the two &quot; 's that are together.

Now, the reason you cannot edit this file with NP++.  This file is loaded every time you open NP++.  When you close it, the file is saved with the current settings.  If you edit with NP++, the settings will not take place immediately since it is opened and put into memory, and you will overwrite your changes as soon as you close the program.

HTML / CSS / Web Design

Discuss, share, ask, learn and teach HTML5 and CSS3.