IT program question

0 Cameron Reuss · November 3, 2014
Hey guys, I know I posted a couple discussions about switching my school major few months ago because I realized I dislike Computer Science now. However, as my semester is ending in a month, I want to be prepared for what's next step to continue my education. I have been looking at Information technology schools. I found that DePaul University in Chicago offers online IT BS program, but it is pricey. Life is easy, huh? But also, I have been thinking about applying to Startup Institute in Chicago that will begin in March 2015. Here is the one million dollar question:

What exactly does schools teach you about Information Technology? Is it easier than CS at all? Something I will enjoy it more since I would like to work in the technology field and have been considering about becoming a Web Developer.

I want to apologize if it annoys you guys or anything, but I have been having troubles to find the right answer.

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Nika Mchedlidze · November 4, 2014
Its less programming more maths I believe.
+1 Ron Butcher · November 7, 2014
I am going for my BS in IT at Capella University right now, and I got my AS in IT at my local Community College a couple years ago.  The primary focus for IT is in computer/network architecture and management.  Understanding how a computer works, how to fix them, and how they talk to each other.  If you specialize in something, like security, or networking, your classes will focus more on that.  There is also a large focus on human computer interaction, items like computer ethics, organization security, etc. 

I am pretty sure that there is more math in CS than IT.  When I was looking at the local University, I needed four more (aside from what I had taken) math classes to even be entered for my BS in CS, and only one more for my BS in IT.

If you are looking at becoming a web developer, that is more of a CS type of field.  IT would be the network guys in the enterprise that maintain a corporate network and server setup.  Also the help desk guys that fix problems that arise from all the idiots that do not know what they are doing (you'd be surprised at how many of your problems end up being caused by the user).

If you do stick with IT, pick a specialization.  Something that you enjoy like Networking or Security.  While getting your BS, also try to get industry certifications in that specialization as well.  This will help you when trying to get a job.  For example, while I was getting my AS, I got my A+, Network+ and Security+.  Right now I am studying for my CCNA and will probably be looking at a few more Cisco Certs before I graduate.

Good luck!

Other Computer Related

107,346 followers
About

Anything else technology related including search engines, social networking, marketing, and more!

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator