Sync files between 2 computers with git?

0 Jack GS · October 21, 2014
Hi, I am currently looking for a way to sync files between my computer and a friends computer as we work on a small game. I have used dropbox for this in the past, however I am looking for a replacement. I heard git is possible of doing some sort of things such as this, however I have little to no knowledge about it. My question is really, would it be possible to use git to sync files when I update date them from my computer and have them sync to their computer? Also, would it be possible to send synced files to a server and have those updated as well with the newest versions?  Any links/information would be helpful I just want to know what git is capable of doing before investing time into learning  it more, thanks in advance :).

Post a Reply

Oldest  Newest  Rating
+2 Ibrahim Tuzlak · October 22, 2014
Yes, the info you got is right. Git is one of the tools you may use to develop, especially if more people are doing the job, which is your case.
If you want to be able to share / sync with the other dev / commit changes properly, etc., you need a proper host, such as Bitbucket, or Github. Github is my recommendation by the way.
Luckily, you can find tutorials on Buckysroom on both using Git and using Github (I recommend watching Git first, so you gain basic understanding).
I would try to explain it here, but I'm afraid I'll just bring confusion :D
+2 Colonel Panic · October 23, 2014
I think what you REALLY want is git.  But what you are asking for is not what git does.   Git is better than what you are asking for.  Git is not a file syncing service, its a version control system.  It has a bit of a learning curve if you have never used a version control system before.  The makers of git have a great online book here: and Videos Here:

Git is an essential skill for anyone who wants to code.   I learned it after years of coding, and wish It had been the first thing I learned.  
0 Jack GS · October 24, 2014
Thanks for the replies, it cleared some things up/answered the questions I had :). Seems like git is the way to go for team projects or general file management/or versions.

Other Computer Related

Anything else technology related including search engines, social networking, marketing, and more!

Bucky Roberts Administrator