Hello, which language should I start with?

+8 Frenonia Walls · October 21, 2014
I'm new to all this.  I'm trying to figure out which language should I learn first?  Any suggestions? I'm totally open to suggests.

Post a Reply

- page 2
Oldest  Newest  Rating
+1 Gary Watson · March 3, 2015
As the others have said it very much depends on what you want to achieve.
Also what platform do you want to develop on?

If you are using a Mac, then Swift would be my choice.

If you are using a Windows PC, then C# is widely used and is a great language and is pretty modern.

Bucky has a lot of great tutorials on here, so try a few out and see what suits your best.
+1 Alex Micharski · February 22, 2015
Hello, I am Alex, an Associate of Computer Science. First you should learn how to use Alice 3D. Learning to use Alice 3D will rapidly increase your skill and understanding of making 3D objects and Java. Once you learn Java, you can move onto C# which will get you intelligent in many types of programming. Then you can go to HTML which will get you deep into programming and will bring you to CSS, and then JavaScript, then PHP, then SQL, then ASP, then at C, you will learn some concepts of Low Leveled Programming which can bring you to Assembly Language, or the most stressful language to learn. As a stress reliever, learn BASIC which can perform most of the tasks that C can perform, but it's much easier. Now with the knowledge of all these languages, you can make anything computer-related.

When you get to Mobile Development, start off with Android Development because that will make the job much easier, and the best part about Android Development is the fact that the main language you need to learn is Java. You might run into some Ruby while working with Android Development, with Ruby, you can learn Python, then you can jump to Apple Development and use X Code. Please know that Apple Development is the complete opposite of Windows and Android.

Now with the knowledge of all of this, you can do A N Y T H I N G !
+1 ♦Avishka RJ ♦™ · March 6, 2015
What are the main languages that use in web development field
+1 Tyler Fitzsimmons · October 21, 2014
Hey there!

I'm new to the forum as well, but I welcome you.

I strongly advise starting with Python and maybe even Java because that's a fantastic programming language to begin with. Actually, both of them are quite decent.
+1 c student · December 16, 2014
1. depends if you want to get into scripts or programming
2. depends on what you want to do with the language

for me, i started with c and i feel confident to recommend it to you as a beginner language despite its potential difficulties you may have with it, getting to understand how c works in memory and having your share of irritating segmentation faults.  the reason i say this is because with c, you'll have to learn the most core concepts of programming to be able to deal with it such as methods of abstraction and also the craftsmanship to create and understand how everything fits together whereas higher languages such as java would be for people who have completely built a solid foundation of this to construct practical and useful programs for the outside world.  c is powerful, used in a variety of situations, small, yet gets the job done quickly. it will meet almost all of your demands if you know your way around it and it won't let you down.

with scripting languages? i don't know, i've never stepped into the depths of scripts to recommend anything.
+1 ♦Avishka RJ ♦™ · March 1, 2015
I am not going to start programming from the beginning. At the moment i am learning C++ and I need to learn another.
That is why i ask it from you.
I think JAVA is better
+1 Diego Mariani · March 1, 2015
I think that C language is very helpful ! A lot of languages are based on C sintax (PHP java C++ ). So after that you can start studying an object oriented programming language such as Java or C++ :)
+1 Robert Summers · December 16, 2014
C because you can make almost anything with C, it's how other programming languages got invented
+1 Muamet Shasivari · December 16, 2014
Every programming language will take your time and energy anyway.
I suggest you C#.
Because Visual Studio Community is FREE now,Tools are easy,you can build Web,Desctop,Android,IOS and much more.
So better invest time and specialize in one language than to know only the basics of many languages:)
0 Branislav Lazic · March 5, 2015

Lets just agree that C# and Java are both great languages. But C++ is better.

I will agree about first sentence, but not about second. :P

Just joined the website? Feel free to introduce yourself here. Oh, by the way, welcome to BuckysRoom!

Bucky Roberts Administrator