Hello, which language should I start with?

+8 Frenonia Walls · October 21, 2014
I'm new to all this.  I'm trying to figure out which language should I learn first?  Any suggestions? I'm totally open to suggests.

Post a Reply

Replies

- page 1
Oldest  Newest  Rating
+6 Ibrahim Tuzlak · October 21, 2014
Hello, and welcome!

Well, I think everyone has it's very own opinion on your question, and those do differ. Here goes mine :D

Python or C.

Why Python and not C?
Because it's very easy to start with, yet it gives you understanding of programming by watching first 5-10 tutorials on it.
It doesn't really needs to be compiled which cuts all the work of installing/setting up compiler. Yes, installing compiler is easy to do, but also simply Installing Python and starting with following tutorials is kind of easier. More "user-friendly" for beginners.
But don't understimate it though. It's a powerful language.

Why C and not Python?
Because it gives you knowledge on installing (eventually setting up) your compiler, writing your program in a text editor, AND the compiling-source-file process after it at the very start of learning it, which is awesome. Awesome because those three 'steps' are found in pretty much any language that needs to be compiled first, so you gain a better understanding. :D (harder than with Python, but not hard!!!)
+2 ahmedtarek mahmoud · December 16, 2014
c++ to get the basics down :)
+2 Alok Pradhan · December 16, 2014
I'd say C because Bucky has a very nice tutorial for Beginners on starting with C which is extremely helpful and you will learn it in no time.. and also that once your actually learning C, you will actually learn the basic of all the other languages like Java, Javascript, C++, etc.  And i wouldnt say its hard in any way.. I mean i started with it as well and found it quiet easy :D .. So yea C but it also depends on what you want to do.. To really build the concepts I'd say C and then Java or whatever you want to learn... Good Luck! 
+2 Abdullah Nauman · March 1, 2015
Yea, Java is a great language. You can make games, websites, apps, and software!
+2 Branislav Lazic · March 4, 2015
I was talking about .NET as a framework and about ASP .NET MVC as a framework for web applications development. I have no idea how you interpreted my comment that I was talking about ASP and .NET as programming languages. Therefore I said: ASP .NET MVC project!

Nevertheless, C# uses CRL as a "platform" to run on it. Equivalent to JVM.. if you wish. ASP .NET MVC application cannot be "successfully edited" (edit, compile, run) in Visual Studio (or Mono if you wish since VS doesn't run on *nix systems for now) on Linux or OSX since .NET is Windows specific and ASP .NET MVC is part of .NET. However, Java frameworks are absolutely portable. Java web application project can be "successfully edited" on more-less any OS. 

Additionally, there have been existing C# implementations for Linux for years and years, now... Consider Mono.

I'm doing with C# too recently and Mono was never an option. Why would anyone use some C# web application framework that works on Linux when even ASP .NET MVC barely catches with combinations of current Java web application frameworks. I could write whole book of arguments, but that doesn't lead nowhere.

Frameworks can obviously be specific for an OS, as they are in Java too.

That's partially correct. Java GUI application cannot be run on i.e. *nix OS that doesn't have GUI, yes. C# WPF application for example, cannot be run on *nix OS's by any chance (since WPF is part of .NET). 
+1 Abdullah Nauman · March 5, 2015
Lets just agree that C# and Java are both great languages. But C++ is better. :P 
+1 Branislav Lazic · December 16, 2014
"Waste" your time a bit with C. Learn basics and then switch to some high level statically typed programming language such as Java or C#.
+1 Brendon McBain · December 17, 2014
Hello Frenonia,

It really depends on YOUR interests. In terms of learning, I'd say avoid languages such as Java, C++, C#, and even JavaScript for the time being. Depending on your interests, I'd pick out of one of the following: PHP (plus HTML & CSS), C, Python, and ActionScript.

I suggested these languages because they are languages that are easier to get going on, you can have your first program done with some cool functions within hours of learning it. And also, each of these languages represent different areas of programming, such as games, websites, and software.

My first programming language is ActionScript, and it really is the best way to make games. The syntax is what you can expect from languages such as Java, and the developers of this language have really succeeded in creating a powerful, yet simple set of classes for it. This would really set you up well for future languages, as it did for me. 

But as I said earlier, it depends on YOUR interests. The important thing is that you get started and learn to love your first ever programming language and dedicate yourself to it, good luck! :D
+1 ♦Avishka RJ ♦™ · March 5, 2015

I am learning C++ at the moment. I need another language except C++ and JAVA. 

+1 Donny Garner · March 25, 2015
Start with the english language then go from there!!!

+1

Introductions

107,271 followers
About

Just joined the website? Feel free to introduce yourself here. Oh, by the way, welcome to BuckysRoom!

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator