How (open) source repo folders and code are named/structured and how to navigate/understand them?

0 Nika Mchedlidze · October 20, 2014
Recently I started exploring GitHub repos, I found alot of interesting stuff, but I can't understand where is code, or something else. Its just confusing for me, folders have random weird names, I googled different stuff but could not find any manual/guide/tutorial about it. 

Can someone give me link or simply explain where can I understand which folders do what? or its just random for all repos (however developer likes)? How do you guys navigate in repositories? I am also curious how I am supposed to structure my own software source.

Of course after few minutes of digging I find code, but... I just don't like when I am confused with something.

I browse in files and even code files are named weird "Node", "NodeState", etc.

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
+2 Eugene Botma · October 20, 2014
There isn't a standard that people have to conform to. Usually the folders are just structured in a way that makes sense for the developers.

It's a good idea to name your files and folders descriptively. If you have a folder with a lot of css files in it, call it "styles", or "css" or something similar, not something like "classes" or just a random name. Same thing for files. If your files contain a class for a user, call the file user.

With this in mind, it is usually pretty easy to navigate a repository once familiar with it, but to new comers that have no idea whats going on inside, it can be confusing.
0 Nika Mchedlidze · October 21, 2014
Thank you so much for answer. one more thing. here's folder/file names I find frequently, what it might mean? (its too common, must mean something): "Resources" (what kind of resources?), "tools" (What can be a tool, simple example), "config", "src", I won't ask more questions because I might become annoying (If I am not already). If you answer at least some of these terms it will make sense for me finally lol :D Thanks.
+1 Ibrahim Tuzlak · October 21, 2014

Thank you so much for answer. one more thing. here's folder/file names I find frequently, what it might mean? (its too common, must mean something): "Resources" (what kind of resources?), "tools" (What can be a tool, simple example), "config", "src", I won't ask more questions because I might become annoying (If I am not already). If you answer at least some of these terms it will make sense for me finally lol Thanks.

The "src" directory in a repo is the actual source code in most cases.
The 'config', 'configure', and similar files names before the "src" dir are files usually there because those are needed for building the source code in a proper way a developer sets. Building with the similar structure usually consists of running executables in order:
configure
make

and you get the binary built from source. It is the case at least in UNIX and UNIX-like OS-es (Linux, for example). I think this building system is called 'makefile'.
Anyway, if you simply want to browse the source code, look inside "src". If you want to build it, too, 'makefile' is possibly the simpliest way to do so.

Other Computer Related

107,347 followers
About

Anything else technology related including search engines, social networking, marketing, and more!

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator