Is there a way to code iPhone App's without a MAC

0 Domnick Knowlton · October 14, 2014
So, the majority of the tutorial's I see for coding iPhone app's people are using apple technology to provide the code. I was just wanting to know if there was a way I could run the same programs with an emulator but on Windows 8.1. If someone could help me that would be amazing. 

Post a Reply

Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Albo Coder · October 14, 2014
Yep... Using virtual Machine... VMWARE
0 Rehman . · November 3, 2014
i guess not, even with virtual machine you have to download any version on MAC OS so point is still the same.
0 J.D Gauchat · November 16, 2014
long time ago I used Virtual Box to install OS X and Xcode in a Window 7 laptop. I was able to program applications for Apple devices but I never try to use my real account or submit anything. I was just experimenting. Also, I don't know if you can install the last version of OS X (that you need to install the last version of Xcode).

There is a multiplatform system that creates iOS apps from a Windows machine, but it is focused on video games. I think it is the one called Marmalade I think it is useless for applications, only good for video games. 

At the end, you will have to buy a Mac if your are serious about it.
0 Yoncho Yonchev · November 25, 2014
it depends on what type of application you want to build. If it is native Objective-C on OS platform i s your only choice because you can compile objective C code on Windows but you can not use the Cocoa and Cocoa Touch frameworks.

There is ruby wrapper for these frameworks so you can develop iOS native apps with ruby too. Check out Ruby Motion ( .

Besides that you can make cross platform web application that can work on both iOS and Android using javascript and jQuery Mobile for example.
0 Perry Davies · January 1, 2015
If you want to use a windows environment and create apps for both android and apple(ipad/iphone) you can use Embarcadero RAD Studio XE7. Which allows you to program in the Delphi/C++ language but target both platforms.

There are other alternatives: monodevelop which integrates with visual studio, also GNUStep which allows you to program in objective C. 

After all that's said, you will have to have at some point register a developer account with apple and also register the device that is to be used to work on. Simulators are ok,, but you will not find out all the little gotchs that running on a real device will show up..

Apple has of late become overly keen to shift the user base to using swift, so objective c may be a language that will eventually be depreciated.
0 Tobias Launer · February 20, 2015
Hey guys,

what do you think of AppBuilder from Telerik? Has anyone already worked with it?
This software has a Windows Client Version and a web based tool. You can program in Javascript, HTML, CSS for Android, iOS and Windows Phones.

It would be nice to see some tutorials for that, made by thenewboston ;) There are really almost none of those in the web. But I think, the tool is pretty powerfull. What do you think of that?

Best Regards from Germany,
0 Abdullah Nauman · February 21, 2015
You could PhoneGap Build! It's pretty much what Tobias said, about you being able to code in HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. And with the use of iframes, you could use PHP, and databases too! Even though you need a MAC to do setup process for IOS, it only takes 20 min. Plus, it's all online! just upload your code, and revive an .apk, .xap, and a .ipa file. All from nth same HTML code! It's pretty amazing! 

If you want an idea of what you can do with it, here is a preview of an app,I am working on:

iOS Development / Swift

This forum is for questions, comments, and general discussion about iOS Development and Swift.

Bucky Roberts Administrator