Create your own Operating System

+14 Ameet Rahane · September 25, 2014
Hey Bucky can you please teach us how to make an operating system

Post a Reply

- page 1
Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Michael Bianchi · May 13, 2015
That's the problem with it, I agree. You don't have nearly as much control over things as you would in C. However, everyone who has a browser can use it without downloading anything, which makes it a little easier for business.

C is my favorite. You can program anything that is an electronic with it and you will always be able to.

However, from an employment perspective, JavaScript pays better on average than C does now that everything is moving to "cloud computing" and online services. It seems most companies are getting rid of their desktop programs and moving more toward mobile-friendly, cross-compatible products (which in most cases just simply adopts web technology).

The problem that Node.js contends to solve just makes the internet feel like it is its own operating system now. Someday soon, computers and devices of all kinds will simply  require an internet connection and the browser will be its OS, apart from the kernel, hardware and i/o handling. Things have already moved in that direction.
0 Tatrasiel R · May 9, 2015
I just think JS is a weird language.  It only works in one side which feels really odd for any other language. There node.js which is supposed to resolve this odd feeling.
0 Michael Bianchi · May 9, 2015
Hahahaha! Well, I will say that I moved from C to the 5 major web languages for similar reasons lol! I tell you, going from C to JavaScript, every JavaScript programmer will think you're a genius.
0 Tatrasiel R · May 2, 2015
I work in C and assembly all the time and I am thinking that people that want to do this are tripping balls.
0 Michael Bianchi · May 2, 2015
I think every beginning programmer always dreamed of making their own operating system. If you want to do so from scratch, in my experience, it's good to understand electronic concepts and circuitry because you will program a kernel that interfaces with the inputs and outputs of those devices. Every computer as we know it is made up of electronic devices and you need to know how to work with them from the ground up.

You can head over to Game Institute and pay the $100 to get started on programming your own game console. You will learn 90% of the fundamentals there. You will have to pay another $300 or so for the kit that you will build and you will, by the end of the course, have a fully-functioning game console (16-bit, like Sega Genesis). Even though it is a game console, the same principles can apply to building a computation system that displays graphics.

However, it is a lot of work before you get something that displays on a screen, even just text. let alone multi-tasking and stunning visual effects like Windows 8 and 10. I recommend making our own distribution of Linux instead and focus on programming user applications in it that enhance the kernel. There are several positives to this including:

1. It is open source (you owe no-one any licensing fees and have no proprietary restrictions).
2. You can sell service with your finished product, as well as the software that you bundle and make with it.
3. Linux doesn't spy on you and you can offer your customers freedom and privacy.
4. The I/O and device handling is already done for you (essentially, the kernel is already built).
5. Heavy community support and rich learning material, for free, virtually "everywhere" in the community.
6. It is a good way to use your C/C++ knowledge, as that's where most programmers start.
0 Abdullah Nauman · February 22, 2015
Haha, that's the first thing I requested. I would recommend COSMOS. 
http a://

That's wha I used. Bucky has tutorials on C#. O remember I tried taking on what you are, it's a really interesting road. Maybe we could work together on something :) 
0 Alex Micharski · February 22, 2015
Making an operating system alone is possible, but really tough. Just in case if you don't get sued by some stupid person, you should make the actual computer by hand with using metal scraps and wire. You should also make your own microchip with your very own instruction set for Assembly Language. After that, start making languages out of Assembly Language, use Assembly to connect the keyboard, and use those language you made using Assembly to make the interface. If this actually works, you are going to be famous and sue-free.
0 Tatrasiel R · February 22, 2015
Ugh I know C and assembly well and this sounds like an awful project. 
I wont mock anything with out a potential solution.

so here is a tutorial on making an OS and they're links and such.

If you really want to make an OS that will work an be cool I would recommend ...

Linux from scratch will take you through to where you build a kernel the next part is really cool and I would do because a kernel is really boring!

Funtoo is really fun! they give you a kernel and you get to build what you want on it.
0 Landon Luman · January 17, 2015
A guy named Ben Heck made a video of him recreating a Macintosh. He does alot of other stuff too, he works for so you can check him out if you would like to
0 Alex Micharski · December 20, 2014
I've been waiting for this forum. YES YES YES!!!!:D

Language that is commonly used in operating systems, compilers, and other low level programs.

Bucky Roberts Administrator