Which Database do You Use?

+1 Gregory Ballantine · May 2, 2014
I thought I'd kick off discussion in the SQL & Databases category with a question: 
http://
What database (SQL, LDAP or otherwise), do you use, and why? What do you use it for? What experiences have you had with databases?

I've used MySQL for awhile, at least over a year now, and I used to use it for everything: storing web content, storing data, user authentication, you name it.  But recently, over the winter, I've transitioned to using OpenLDAP for user authentication, and a few other small things (like syncing host files, keeping track of local web servers I have up), and couldn't be happier.  I use both currently, as they each have their uses and are a very good combo that is serving me very very well!

Some other experiences I've had are helping my brother with Oracle SQL stuff for a class here at UMBC, my close friend used PostgreSQL, until I convinced him to move to MySQL (sorry fans of Postgre ;D), and I'm looking into other LDAP servers, like OpenDJ and the like. I'm also looking into MariaDB, as that won't be difficult to transition to, and I've heard some pretty good things about it!

Also, on campus here at UMBC, I currently help deal with the MySQL, Oracle, and Active Directory servers

So, tell us about your database experiences!

Any suggestions to try new things are welcome!

OpenLDAP
http://www.openldap.org/images/headers/LDAPworm.gif

MySQL
https://www.mysql.com/common/logos/logo-mysql-110x57.png

Post a Reply

Replies

- page 1
Oldest  Newest  Rating
+1 Neil Doniva · May 24, 2014
I use MariaDB for small tasks.
0 M .A.K · May 31, 2014
As android app developer i started with sqlite and after then i still use it even on my other projects as well
it's not fancy but i just love it's simplicity and self-containment.   
-1 Nikola Novakovic · June 8, 2014
Well I used MySQL and MSSQl. Altough I want to try stuff like MongoDB or Cassandra I haven't had time to play with it. Any good tutorial links on those ?
Also how the data is structured in OpenLDAP , I would maybe try that out too :)
0 Jay Deshaun · June 8, 2014
I only use MySQL for everything :p
0 Justin Hamilton · July 22, 2014
I currently use Oracle 11g, SQL Server 2008R2, and Sybase SQL Anywhere v12. 

SQL Daily,
Oracle Weekly,
and Sybase when need arises (it's a T-SQL so pretty much same as Microsoft's SQL).
+1 Eugene Botma · July 22, 2014
I currently use or manage: SQL server 2012, mysql, Cassandra, neo4j, openldap.

Microsoft SQL server is for a product i am working on at the moment. This is by far my favorite DBMS.

my website runs on mysql (for now).

cassandra and neo4j are used for bigdata research on the small cluster that i manage at my university.

openldap is used to manage the users on said cluster.
0 Nikola Novakovic · July 23, 2014
Eugene whats your experience and impressions with Cassandra ? :) 
+1 Eugene Botma · July 23, 2014
Not a lot of experience with it. i only have a few tables with 2 columns each. I've never tried to set up a program to really use Cassandra or write large Cassandra queries. I can only do the basics. I looked more at the performance, and it is CPU heavy. If you are running a clustered instance, you need an extremely fast network, I would not recommend anything slower than 10Gb/s Ethernet.
0 Nikola Novakovic · July 23, 2014
Ok man thanks for the heads up! :) 
0 William Frost · July 24, 2014
MySQL For The Win

SQL & Databases

107,305 followers
About

Everything SQL and Databases related in here!

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator