Which Database do You Use?

+1 Gregory Ballantine · May 2, 2014
I thought I'd kick off discussion in the SQL & Databases category with a question: 
What database (SQL, LDAP or otherwise), do you use, and why? What do you use it for? What experiences have you had with databases?

I've used MySQL for awhile, at least over a year now, and I used to use it for everything: storing web content, storing data, user authentication, you name it.  But recently, over the winter, I've transitioned to using OpenLDAP for user authentication, and a few other small things (like syncing host files, keeping track of local web servers I have up), and couldn't be happier.  I use both currently, as they each have their uses and are a very good combo that is serving me very very well!

Some other experiences I've had are helping my brother with Oracle SQL stuff for a class here at UMBC, my close friend used PostgreSQL, until I convinced him to move to MySQL (sorry fans of Postgre ;D), and I'm looking into other LDAP servers, like OpenDJ and the like. I'm also looking into MariaDB, as that won't be difficult to transition to, and I've heard some pretty good things about it!

Also, on campus here at UMBC, I currently help deal with the MySQL, Oracle, and Active Directory servers

So, tell us about your database experiences!

Any suggestions to try new things are welcome!

Post a Reply

- page 1
Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Poly Morphist · October 15, 2014
Being that I live in Seattle and Microsoft is in my backyard most of my experience is with MS SQL Server.  I've also used some DB2.  I'd love to branch out into MySQL, PostgreSQL and/or Oracle but haven't had the opportunity yet.
0 Nikola Novakovic · August 22, 2014
And how is it ? :) I mean Oracle :D 
0 Agburu Ogah · August 21, 2014
I use Oracle11g, also I got my certification this year.
0 Rohit Buddabathina ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ · August 17, 2014
Im using MySQL
0 Shamal Sandeep · August 10, 2014
I love mysql But I use mongodb with NodeJs for making stuff like chat. Because they two work lightening fast together!
0 JOhaL jaTT · August 9, 2014
Oracle and Mysql.
-1 Nikola Novakovic · August 9, 2014
MySQL and relational databases are not the fastest thing out there. There is, for example, a thing called NoSQL and it is much faster then traditional relational databases, because of a simple structure they have ( key value pairs, something like hashes in Ruby , or an object in JavaScript or a json object ). But there are drawbacks to NoSQL databases and they are just a tool to be used along with relational databases ( be it MSSQL , MySQL etc ) , but they are faster ( the nosql ones ).
0 Shamal Sandeep · August 9, 2014
I use MySql for all web sites It's fast and reliable with many back-end languages. Also some the biggest sites are powered by MySql ex - FB
+1 Brandon Elliott · July 24, 2014
Wait, there's something other than MySQL??

just kidding :D
0 William Frost · July 24, 2014
MySQL For The Win

SQL & Databases

Everything SQL and Databases related in here!

Bucky Roberts Administrator