IDE Suggestions for Mac?

+1 Colonel Panic · September 13, 2014
I have always used visual studio for most of my coding needs.  Lately my work issued me a macbook and in need of a good ide that I can run natively rather than opening a virtual instance of w8. 

I have been using pycharm for all of my python needs, but need something good for javascript, jquery, perl, ruby, and bash, that has code completions and definitions.  

Any suggestions?

Post a Reply

Replies

Oldest  Newest  Rating
0 Colonel Panic · December 28, 2014
Mostly its debugging features, and the ability to have auto complete of methods for object types.  IE.  If i have "myString" and I put the trailing period, it will show me to see every string function, it's parameters and brief information of the function.   
0 Nikola Novakovic · December 28, 2014
What features are you missing in Sublime ? I admit it has some limitations but they are not that bad, most of the time you can get away with a few workarounds. 
0 Colonel Panic · December 28, 2014
I have been using Sublime Text for years.  I love it very much, but it is a text editor, not a full IDE.   I ended up going with a few of the jetbrains IDE's.   They seem to be the most full featured one's available.  
0 Nikola Novakovic · December 27, 2014
Sublime ftw! Trust me :) I have been using it for around 6 months and once you pick up all the shortcuts, install some neat plugins, you will not be able to develop in anything that is not sublime :) I don't want even to talk on how much the speed of the development is increased :) 
0 Siddharth Isaiah · September 15, 2014
I've heard IntelliJ being recommended very highly by a lot of people, although I haven't used it personally.
Link - http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/
Its mainly a Java IDE but it does supports the languages that you need and has code-completion.

And you could also configure Eclipse to do the same thing via plugins but I don't know how good they are.

Apple

107,068 followers
About

The area for Apple news, rumors, and discussions.

Links
Moderators
Bucky Roberts Administrator